Question I ve bought an rx6600 and it smells like plastic

KosmoLMAO

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
I ve bought an rx6600 about 4-5 months ago, and i ve noticed today when I was in the kitchen and left resident evil 4 remake demo with normal ray tracing and graphics high-very high I d say on, when I came back I noticed a smell of plastic coming from my pc, immediately closed the game, I ve noticed the smell appearing after I turned the power limit all the way to the right, and it insted of drawing 100w it was drawing 120w, my psu is corsair rm550x, I don t know what the problem is, it may be the psu cables struggling to deliver power, the gpu fan curve, please help, I have spiderman remastered downloaded to test the gpu, any suggestions on a fix??

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that Corsair RM550x PSU? History of heavy use for gaming?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Next - Very important:

Use a bright flashligh to inspect for signs of damage. Likely melting.

Look for bare conductor showing, pinched or kinked wires, melted insulation, browned or blackened areas/components, swollen components, cracks, corrosion.

Carefully sniff about - there may be a stronger melted plastic odor somewhere within the case. Do not attempt to open the PSU but use the flashlight to peak inside as much as possible. Likewise for the GPU.

Key is to discover what melted or maybe even burned.

KosmoLMAO

Prominent
Dec 15, 2022
How old is that Corsair RM550x PSU? History of heavy use for gaming?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Next - Very important:

Use a bright flashligh to inspect for signs of damage. Likely melting.

Look for bare conductor showing, pinched or kinked wires, melted insulation, browned or blackened areas/components, swollen components, cracks, corrosion.

Carefully sniff about - there may be a stronger melted plastic odor somewhere within the case. Do not attempt to open the PSU but use the flashlight to peak inside as much as possible. Likewise for the GPU.

Key is to discover what melted or maybe even burned.
gpu and psu are brand new same amount of usage both.

Ralston18

Titan
Reading back:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU noted as a "Corsair RM550x, new".

Disk drive(s), make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

4 - 5 months old:

At best it is quite likely to be some odor right at the beginning (brand new, never used) when by-products of construction and manufacturing burn off of electronics during initial use.

Usually that odor does not last very long and not for 4 - 5 months. Otherwise, the materials may be substandard and the odorous fumes potentially dangerous. Could be design and assembly related as well.

So my thought is that something got unexpectedly hotter than usual, for reasons unknown, and went beyond even the last possible "burn off" odors.

One reason could be that the PSU is not capable of meeting the system's power demands. 550 Watts may not be enough.

Use the power calculators in the following link to determine the wattage requirements. If a component provides a range of wattage values use the highest provided value.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

[Read the entire article just as a matter of general information regarding the critical importance of PSUs.]

A very close inspection is warranted. Double check the power ratings/limits for everything. 120 watts may have been just "a watt too far". To me, turning "right" generally means an increase of some sort.

The possible progression being increased odor, smoke, sparks, flames..... Does not end well.

According to amds website it says you need a 450 watt power supply. The Corsair rmx power supplies are supposed to be one of the best. You might contact Corsair and ask about it. Possibly an rma is in order? You might also check where you’ve got your wires routed and check for any melted wiring or connectors.