[SOLVED] I want to buy an additional ram stick

Nov 8, 2019
My current ram is a Ballistix 8gb ddr4 2666MHz and im looking for a similiar product. I have found one which matches the specs of my current ram but the form factor is different. The form factore of the one i have is DIMM and the one i want to get is UDIMM. I just want to know if this is something i should worry about. Also if there are any other factors i should worry about.

Solution
UDIMM is unregistered ram which is commonly used. This doesn't define form factor. If you meant SO-DIMM then this is for laptops.

Unregistered ram or known as non-ECC ram has an even amount of chips on board while ECC (Registered ram) has an odd number.

Can you list PC specs please to better gauge advice. I'd say you'd have the normal non-ECC ram but correct me if im wrong. You can mix ram but both being compatible with each other is anyone's guess, even if same brand & spec. Mixing isn't guaranteed unless in a kit. Doesn't mean mixing wont work, just be prepared to return if have trouble.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
UDIMM is unregistered ram which is commonly used. This doesn't define form factor. If you meant SO-DIMM then this is for laptops.

Unregistered ram or known as non-ECC ram has an even amount of chips on board while ECC (Registered ram) has an odd number.

Can you list PC specs please to better gauge advice. I'd say you'd have the normal non-ECC ram but correct me if im wrong. You can mix ram but both being compatible with each other is anyone's guess, even if same brand & spec. Mixing isn't guaranteed unless in a kit. Doesn't mean mixing wont work, just be prepared to return if have trouble.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution