[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my GPU, I need some advice please

TheLoveDoctor

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello, I've been considering buying a new gpu, specifically the new RTX 3080. However, are there any things I should consider before buying one? Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H170-PRO
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz
GPU:NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
intel HD Graphics 530

Also, my PC is prebuilt. Will I even be able to upgrade it? Please help me out, and thank you so much in advance! :) :)

Solution
Hello, I've been considering buying a new gpu, specifically the new RTX 3080. However, are there any things I should consider before buying one? Here are my specs:

intel HD Graphics 530

Also, my PC is prebuilt. Will I even be able to upgrade it? Please help me out, and thank you so much in advance! :):)
You might, depending on space inside the case and your psu size. A minimum of 750W for the 3080. However your 6700 will bottleneck. Would suggest building new entirely, or going for 3070

intel HD Graphics 530

Also, my PC is prebuilt. Will I even be able to upgrade it? Please help me out, and thank you so much in advance! :):)
You might, depending on space inside the case and your psu size. A minimum of 750W for the 3080. However your 6700 will bottleneck. Would suggest building new entirely, or going for 3070

Reactions: TheLoveDoctor
Solution
The only thing to consider for compatibility is your PSU and the dimensions of the case. Almost any case, even prebuilt have room for the larger GPU, but you might not have room if the case/build is in an SFF case, so that is not generally a big issue. The real problem is going to be the PSU. Make sure the PSU is high enough wattage, which being a prebuilt is unlikely. The other thing to check for is the right GPU power connections. That GTX 1060 most likely has only a 6 or 8 pin, while the 3070 will require at least two of those plugs, with the 3080 needing two 8 pins for power at least.

Reactions: TheLoveDoctor

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ibuypower usually uses Corsair psus, doubtful you upgraded to the 650/750w RMx, most likely it's the builder CX600, which will not cut it when trying to push a 3080.

I hate that term, bottleneck. It's totally misused and misunderstood and overused. For most games, the 3080 will be underused. Unless you plan on 4k monitor. You are looking at a gpu that's rated above a 2080ti, so for 1080p/1440p it's honestly wasted for the most part. It'll maximize any fps your cpu can put out.

Be like sticking a V8 motor in a go-kart, very impractical except in certain circumstances.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt