felixthemaster

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Here is my situation (bulletpointed for your pleasure)

■ My first build of anything in my life [:lutfij:3]
■ Done quite some research :sleep:
■ Picked out the i3 and HD 7850 but people say bottlenecking issues
■ I say "i cant afford an i5 AND 7850" but they persist saying "they just dont go together"
■ I say "please leave me alone, i cant stand this much weight on my budget!" and they come back with "well it is like buying a ferrari with a moped engine"
■ So I finally give in and i look into getting an i5 2500k from amazon for £153 (trustable site right?) and also try to put down the budget as MUCH as i can on accesories included dvd drive and cases and harddrives etc.
■So here is my potential basket:

Antec 300 (maybe try to find a cheaper easier to use case)
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black
20m ethernet cable
120mm Akasa AK-174BK-S Black Case Fan, x2 (maybe only get one)
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 600w (i am already a fan boy but i guess i need to make changes and get a cheaper PSU so i can afford an i5)
Intel Core i5 2500K (unlocked) if possible
500GB Seagate (wanted 1tb but oh well :cry: )
MSI Z77A-G43 Ivybridge Ready Motherboard
2GB Asus Radeon HD 7850

■ So should i go for the i5 to avoid bottlenecking issues especially on CPU heavy games like BF3 multiplayer and skyrim but as a side effect go through all the trouble of cutting ties with my corsair fan boyism and shopping around painfully to find cheaper parts
■ ...or should i just stick with the i3 2120? ;)
■ Thank you for reading!

Uhm... If you're not fixated on an Intel rig, you could get a Phenom II based system as well (955 C3, 965 C3, 970, 980 or 960T). That's a full 4 core at the price of an i3 and you'll be able to easily OC it as well (unlocked ones).

Otherwise, you could get an i5 2300 or 2400; they're right at the side of the faster i3 in most stores. The 2300 should be enough to play comfortable with the 7850 at most resolutions that video card can handle IMO.

Cheers!

felixthemaster

Honorable
May 17, 2012

I am quite fixated on an intel platform but thanks for the suggestion. And, I guess everyone is saying to get an i5 and one guy is telling me to stick with the i3 and linked me to a thread of people saying the i3 is fine on bf3 multi

Well, if there's definite proof that the i3 handles itself fine in BF3's MP, I don't see why the hesitation, my friend.

The question now is if you trust the sources for that info. That'll give you the answer you seek, hehe.

Cheers!

felixthemaster

Honorable
May 17, 2012

yea.. i cant trust anyhitng as ever info i find has an opposing party so it just leads me nowhere. i was hoping someone who tried both the i3 and i5 could help me but oh well!

thanks!

felixthemaster

Honorable
May 17, 2012

dunno much about comps but i was told to go with 2500 min so i am going with 2500k if i can try to estimate my total and it is cheaper than my budget