Nov 14, 2021
Hello,

I want to buy a new cpu and I don't know if the cpu will bottleneck the gpu (our vice versa) ?
Also, I play in 4k so it can reduce the bottleneck.

Processor: Intel i5-11600k 3.9GHz/4.9GHz
GPU: Asus RTX 2070 ROG Strix OC 8GO

Thanks in advance !

Solution
I don’t plan to play in 4K full ultra but I just want to know if in 4K, it would be correct for gaming.
For example, Borderlands 3, Apex Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Fallout 4 or 76, GTA V, etc… with medium or high settings.
And yeah, it’s a big upgrade compare to the i5-7400.

With your current RTX 2070, Im guessing titles like R6S, GTA V, Apex you will be able to play 4K Med/High. But for Borderlands 3, Fallout 4 and the likes you will need to use a mix of med/high settings to keep frames at a decent level. The RTX 2070 was never meant to be a 4K GPU, unless of course you can enable DLSS, then the story change a little bit.

You may want to check whats the price difference of going i5 11600K or i5 12600k..
Hello,

I want to buy a new cpu and I don't know if the cpu will bottleneck the gpu (our vice versa) ?
Also, I play in 4k so it can reduce the bottleneck.

Processor: Intel i5-11600k 3.9GHz/4.9GHz
GPU: Asus RTX 2070 ROG Strix OC 8GO

Thanks in advance !

The 11600K souldn't limit what the the RTX 2070 can deliver at any resolution.

In 4K I would bet it will be the other way around.

Are you upgrading the cpu because you already have a 4xx or 5xx chipset ?, or Are you buying brand new? I am asking because there could be other options depending on your answer.

Also keep in mind the 11600K, does not come with an included cooler. You will need an aftermarket solution.

Reactions: Merwan28
Nov 14, 2021
The 11600K souldn't limit what the the RTX 2070 can deliver at any resolution.

In 4K I would bet it will be the other way around.

Are you upgrading the cpu because you already have a 4xx or 5xx chipset ?, or Are you buying brand new? I am asking because there could be other options depending on your answer.

Also keep in mind the 11600K, does not come with an included cooler. You will need an aftermarket solution.
I’m upgrading my cpu because I had an i5-7400 and it bottleneck the gpu.
Also, to change this cpu, I need to change the motherboard and I found the good one to match the cpu.
Don’t worry for the cooler, I know ;)

(Sorry for my bad english btw)

The i5-11600K will definitely be an upgrade over the i5-7400 in terms of minimum frame rates. But whether or not you'll see an improvement also depends on the games and the settings you play at.

Also the GPU can never bottleneck the CPU. My argument for anyone who says "yes it can" is "lower the CPU performance, tadah, instant 'bottleneck'" But in all seriousness, as far as the system is concerned, the CPU doesn't care whether or not the GPU is too busy to do work. It just won't send a command to render a new frame.

Nov 14, 2021
The i5-11600K will definitely be an upgrade over the i5-7400 in terms of minimum frame rates. But whether or not you'll see an improvement also depends on the games and the settings you play at.
I don’t plan to play in 4K full ultra but I just want to know if in 4K, it would be correct for gaming.
For example, Borderlands 3, Apex Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Fallout 4 or 76, GTA V, etc… with medium or high settings.

With your current RTX 2070, Im guessing titles like R6S, GTA V, Apex you will be able to play 4K Med/High. But for Borderlands 3, Fallout 4 and the likes you will need to use a mix of med/high settings to keep frames at a decent level. The RTX 2070 was never meant to be a 4K GPU, unless of course you can enable DLSS, then the story change a little bit.

You may want to check whats the price difference of going i5 11600K or i5 12600k..

Solution
Nov 14, 2021

That’s the answer I wanted, thanks for the help and your time. I take the i5-11600k because the price is in my budget.
Also, I think I will change later my monitor to a 1440p or 1080p.
Thanks again and see you later ! :)