Question i5-14600KF / Cinebench 2024 / Thermal Throttling?

Jun 3, 2024
Hi all,

I purchased an NZXT Player One Prime Prebuilt Gaming PC which comes with an i5-14600KF and it arrived on Friday.

First thing I did once it was all booted up was to run Cinebench 2024 and using Intel XTU to monitor.

On a Multicore test, temps are hitting 100c and XTU shows that Thermal Throttling was engaged...

Multi Core test result was 1173pts (3 passes)

Single Core test result was 117pts

Is all this normal?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The listing for the prebuilt NZXT system shows that you have a B760 chipsetted motherboard, can you use CPU-Z to verify what board you have showing up under the Mainboard's tab? BIOS version at this moment of time would be of help too. Asking to see if you have any option to undervolt in BIOS.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The listing for the prebuilt NZXT system shows that you have a B760 chipsetted motherboard, can you use CPU-Z to verify what board you have showing up under the Mainboard's tab? BIOPS version at this moment of time would be of help too. Asking to see if you have any option to undervolt in BIOS.
Hi...

Thanks for the welcome..

Info as requested.

Board: MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4 (MS-7D99) - 1.0
Bios: American Megatrends International - 1.A0 - 03/21/2024

On a Multicore test, temps are hitting 100c and XTU shows that Thermal Throttling was engaged...

Multi Core test result was 1173pts (3 passes)

Single Core test result was 117pts

Is all this normal?
Depends on what you consider normal.
It looks like your mobo is auto overclocking to 100° , unless your cooling is extremely underpowered.
You can use hwinfo to see how many watts the CPU pulls during the cinebench run, if it goes above 181W it is overclocking, which isn't inherently a bad thing but you might want to manually tune it down a bit to not hit 100° which might even increase your overall score since the CPU keeps boosting when there is thermal headroom.

Jun 3, 2024
Depends on what you consider normal.
It looks like your mobo is auto overclocking to 100° , unless your cooling is extremely underpowered.
You can use hwinfo to see how many watts the CPU pulls during the cinebench run, if it goes above 181W it is overclocking, which isn't inherently a bad thing but you might want to manually tune it down a bit to not hit 100° which might even increase your overall score since the CPU keeps boosting when there is thermal headroom.
Cooling most certainly is a concern I have .. There's not a lot of fans, but I've got some on order

Out the box, it's an H5 Flow case with a single intake fan at a 30 degree angle at the bottom front pulling air in; a T120RGB cpu cooler and a 120 exhaust fan on the back panel - This setup seems way to weak.

The other possibilities are the standard failings of SIs in that they are lax with their paste, none at all, or they forget to remove the cpu cooler plate protection film (seen this a few times).

ETA: Ran CB with HWInfo monitoring - CPU Package Power max 186.194W

Last edited:
undervoltage
The most recent BIOS versions automatically enable Intel Undervolt Protection. This prevents undervolting. The K series CPUs usually use too much voltage when run on B760 and B660 boards which is why they run so hot. Trying to undervolt when Undervolt Protection is enabled can cause a huge drop in performance.

The top middle of the ThrottleStop FIVR window will show when Undervolt Protection is enabled.

ViQ60st.png

Jun 3, 2024
I had an MSI PRO B660M and it had unlimited PL1 and PL2 limits out of the box. Go to BIOS and set PL1 to 125W and PL2 to 181W.
Try if the Throttlestop software will work for you and if the processor would go undervoltage. It might not because the BIOS won't allow it, but it's worth a try.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-undervolt-cpu-guide/
Well, that seems to have stabilised it . Both PL1 and PL2 were set to 181, so dropped PL1 to 125 as suggest and Cinebench no longer results in Thermal Throttle flagging.

CB also increase score to 1222 (was 1173)

Thnx ...

Reactions: 35below0
Jun 3, 2024
So, I logged a support ticket with NZXT and their response was less that ideal.

Rest assured, these are normal temperatures we can expect with this CPU at 100% utilization with this setup. If this was not sufficient or if the film was not removed, the temperatures would be higher and the kill switch for the CPU would have turned the PC off before reaching 100% utilization. Even if we were to replace the cooler, you would likely experience the same temperatures.

"with this setup"
- so are they saying that our builds are crap... I can understand high temps under load, but not to the extent of thermal throttling....

"Even if we were to replace the cooler, you would likely experience the same temperatures." - I don't think that would be the case if you had a 240 AIO

Seems like I'm gonna have to suck it up and get an AIO

"with this setup" - so are they saying that our builds are crap... I can understand high temps under load, but not to the extent of thermal throttling....

"Even if we were to replace the cooler, you would likely experience the same temperatures." - I don't think that would be the case if you had a 240 AIO

Seems like I'm gonna have to suck it up and get an AIO
It's set up to auto overclock 100° the cooling has to be brutally overpowered to not get up to 100° when that's what it's trying to do.
You already tweaked TDP and got better temps and scores, it's fine.

Reactions: WonkyEyedGamer

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
@WonkyEyedGamer, What is your CPU cooler and how many fans are installed in the case? The AIO for the 14600 KF is not necessary, the 14600 KF can also be cooled with air, and the main thing to remember is that during games the processor will not run with such a load as in the benchmark.

Jun 3, 2024
@WonkyEyedGamer, What is your CPU cooler and how many fans are installed in the case? The AIO for the 14600 KF is not necessary, the 14600 KF can also be cooled with air, and the main thing to remember is that during games the processor will not run with such a load as in the benchmark.

Air Cooler is an NZXT T120 RGB
H5 Flow case so as single 120 in the bottom/front (angled), no front panel fans
120 on back panel behind cooler

Will probably look to get 2 x 120 fans for the front panel to get a bit of +ve pressure inside the case.... and a bit of RGB.

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Front panel fans will be fine, but I'm afraid the main problem is the NZXT T120 RGB. Unfortunately, I believe this cooler is not powerful enough to cool the 14600 KF and is a design flaw. If it would fit in a case, it would at least need something like Peerless Assassin...

Last edited:

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Try looking in the BIOS to see how your fan curve is set, ideally send a screenshot of the BIOS with the CPU fan curve. The NZXT T120 could keep up with normal gaming if it had a little higher RPM.

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Check and possibly adjust the cpu fan curve and it might work for gaming. Cinebench is extreme and the CPU will not run with such a load in normal operation. When gaming, it will be a peak of 120W, and even the existing cooler can handle it.

Reactions: WonkyEyedGamer

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
"Before" wasn't that bad, maybe I'd leave it at that. In the "After" you increased the RPMs at low temperatures, it is not necessary. What are the gaming (not benchmark) temperatures at the "Before" setting?

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Problem is your cooler. But does it actually matter? Are you going to be running cinebench on a loop? Does the performance difference even worth buying a better cooler?

An AIO is definitely not needed, you just need a better air cooler.