jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi!

another post concerning a possible i5 2500k overheating. First, here is my new build which was assemble last Friday and running 24hrs a day since then: Case Antec 300 with rear and top fan, MOBO Asus P8Z68-V, CPU i5 2500k with stock cooler, RAM DDR3 G SKILL 2X4GB, HD WD 1TB. No overclocking.

I decided to play Duke Nukem Forever demo today and once of a sudden, my computer shut down. It happened a few times.

I decided to check the temperature of my CPU using CoreTemp. Idle it was around 35-40 C on all cores. I started playing the game and was checking back and forth with CoreTemp and last temperature I saw was 74 C then it shut down again. I ran a few test with Prime95 and same thing, last temperature I could see was 74 C then the computer shut down.

Room temperature is around 25 C. I read many threads saying that 35-40C was normal when idle. What about that 74 C? Is there something that makes my computer shut down at 75 C?

I don't think it's normal that the CPU gets that hot. I am pretty sure that my stock cooler is installed properly. If it was not installed properly, should I expect highest temperature when the CPU is idle?

Thanks!

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Idle temps look fine for stock cooler on that chip without OCing. I get low to mid 60s when using Prime95, no OCing and have a Hyper-212 cooler. So mid 70s doesn't seem unreasonable when using the stock cooler (but that would need confirmed).

The i5-2500K has a design temperature limit of 98 deg C, but it's possible your motherboard BIOS has 75 deg C as the shutdown limit. Have a look and see what it is...if that's the case, then up the limit a bit, maybe 85 deg C?

What's the inside of your case like - have you tidied the cables away? It also sounds like you have no intake fan (from your post), which is necessary to promote good cooling. Do a little work there too, and you may see your temps come down nicely.

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

I have the stock fan on the back of the case and one on top. They both push the air out. I can put 2 fans on the front and one on the side. I have an extra fan that I will use as an intake fan at the front. Let's see what is going to happen.

I'm going to double check the cables too but as far as I remember, everything was good.

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

Hmmm well. The cables are all good. I added an intake fan at the front of the case. I saw an improvement of maybe 1-2 degrees. All fans are on medium speed as the high speed is way too loud!

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah I will look into that. If I cannot play a game for 10 minutes then it's no good. Actually, I I played for about 20 minutes since I added that new fan and the max temperature I got was 72C on the 4th core. No shutdown! :)

I use the integrated graphic card (Intel HD3000). Am I right to say that if I buy a separate graphic card, the stress on the CPU will be lot less?

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I think diellur is correct. The BIOS shutdown setting needs to be changed. A few degrees should do. Also, you can visually inspect the heat sink and make sure one of the corners didn't come up. I'm not sure about the i5 series but previous Intel heatsinks are troublesome.

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
I know no GPU :p Just didn't know if I wanted to game or not. Looks pretty interesting so I might buy a cheap Radeon 5670.

For that BIOS shutdown setting... where the hell is it in the P8Z68-V? I looked all over the place and could not find it. Now I run idle at around 32-35 C with that new fan.

negative0007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hi. Let me tell you what I'm doing, and how very well it's working out for me.

I'm running an Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 with an i5 2500k in an Apevia X-Cruiser case with a Hyper 212+, 800w power supply, and a Radeon HD 4670.

The 212 fan is towards the rear of the case, blowing towards the front (blowing into the cooler). Just behind that, in the back of the case is a 120mm fan also blowing in.

I have 1 top-mounted 80mm blowing out, and 1 side-mounted 80mm blowing out.

That's it.

My system idles at 16-19c, and Saints Row 3 or CoD:Black Ops will bring me up to MAYBE 38c.

The Hyper 212+ is absolutely, totally, completely worth it. Got mine at Newegg for $30, and the 212 Evo is only $5 more.

Why take a chance and torch an expensive chip and mobo over $30?

Also, install the Asus AI Suite II, and all of it's little parts and pieces (it's big, at 375mb from Asus).

It will allow you to control fan speeds, overclocking, and set warning temperatures right in Windows.