[SOLVED] i5 3330 temp while gaming

Core_Aurora

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
Hi...I have a setup of i5 3330 with hd 7950 oc and 8gb of ram....games run quite well But I am facing a issue. While gaming (ETS 2) , CPU Temp reaches 73C(Ambient Temp 38C). I am using stock cpu cooler provided by intel.
Is it general ? If not, What is the solution ?

Last edited:
Solution
Just get the largest case you can possibly afford and which will still fit on your desk.

Good case brands are Antec, Corsair, CoolerMaster
Needlessly large cases are a waste of space, metal and money. Something like the Antec 300v1/v2 (I own one of each) has plenty of space to fit an ATX motherboard and all of the hardware a remotely normal home user could possibly need with a fair amount of space to work in. Two good front intake fans to make good use of the dust filter is all the case fans a typical PC really needs and the intake filter adds 100X more airflow resistance than any severely botched cable management job short of deliberately putting a wall of wiring directly behind the fan ever will. The only reason I include a...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hi...I have a setup of i5 3330 with hd 7950 oc and 8gb of ram....games run quite well But I am facing a issue. While gaming (ETS 2) , CPU Temp reaches 73C(Ambient Temp 38C). I am using stock cpu cooler provided by intel.
Is it general ? If not, What is the solution ?
It's fine. It's about in line with what I had (i5 3470 on stock cooler) at 72 degrees, considering my ambient is about 29 degrees C with air cond and crap airflow.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Thank You...Do I need to Upgrade my CPU Cooler ??? Suggest some budget coolers
You don't need to, strictly speaking. I know Intel rated these chips at 67 degrees, but that's a load of bull. I ran mine for many years with stock cooler over that temps and never did it present a problem. Temps are safe up to 90 degrees or so on Ivy Bridge chips.

I can recommend Gammaxx 400 and its many cousins. ID-Cooling SE-224-XT is the same thing, just rebranded and different fan. They're cheap (costs around $25 maximum around here). Performs like Hyper 212 Evo at much cheaper prices. From my own test, the 400 family is better due to their more silent fans compared to ID-Cooling's. ID's fans are loud for what they are.

Alternatively, there's also the smaller coolers like Gammaxx 300T and ID-Cooling SE-914. Cheaper (not by much), but also smaller. Any of those can run 3330 real easy. I'd just get a 400 or 224 and be done with it. Dirt cheap, great performance/price ratio, and the newer 400 models come with good mounting hardware as well so easy to install and foolproof with spring screws.

Core_Aurora

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
You don't need to, strictly speaking. I know Intel rated these chips at 67 degrees, but that's a load of bull. I ran mine for many years with stock cooler over that temps and never did it present a problem. Temps are safe up to 90 degrees or so on Ivy Bridge chips.

I can recommend Gammaxx 400 and its many cousins. ID-Cooling SE-224-XT is the same thing, just rebranded and different fan. They're cheap (costs around $25 maximum around here). Performs like Hyper 212 Evo at much cheaper prices. From my own test, the 400 family is better due to their more silent fans compared to ID-Cooling's. ID's fans are loud for what they are.

Alternatively, there's also the smaller coolers like Gammaxx 300T and ID-Cooling SE-914. Cheaper (not by much), but also smaller. Any of those can run 3330 real easy. I'd just get a 400 or 224 and be done with it. Dirt cheap, great performance/price ratio, and the newer 400 models come with good mounting hardware as well so easy to install and foolproof with spring screws.
Recently I was gaming for a long time...and the temp touched 78C...

But there was no lagging issue... I did not even know when it touched 78C.

I am just worried about it's Longevity and affect on motherboard.

As i said before, your cpu temps are fine.
Both temp and load temps are good, there is nothing you should worry about.
You could change the cooler and repaste the CPU, but its not needed, its up to you.
About the longevity, as long as you maintain those temps, who knows how many years it has in it.

Any cooler should show 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Intel pushpin mount can be tricky, but I think you got it right.
The processor monitors it's own temperature and will slow down or shut off to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Running hot is not a problem.
It is excessive voltage applied during overclocking that can damage a processor.
Since your processor can not be overclocke you are safe.

If you want less noise from the cooler, an aftermarket air cooler with a 120mm fan would be a reasonable upgrade.
What is the make/model of your case?
Any cooler needs a good source of front air intake to let a cooler do it's job.
Most tower coolers will require 160mm headroom.
I might suggest the scythe fuma 2 @155mm:
https://www.newegg.com/scythe-scfm-2000/p/13C-0004-00085?quicklink=true

Not to worry, you are good.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

If you're that worried, get an aftermarket cooler. Avoid any "aftermarket" that looks like stock cooler and you're good. Anything else is up to your budget and preference. Heck, get used Hyper 212 and its many knockoffs for dirt cheap. As long as it's not severely damaged, worst you can end up with is replacing the fan. Got my 400 XT in my sig for $14, for instance. No issues, the seller just upgraded to an AIO.

If your case is too small for a 120mm HSF, try 92mm ones. There are even a few 80mm ones where I live. Had one for $5, and it's even better than the stock one that I had on my i3 550.

If case is still too small, the options are pricey, like Noctua NH-L9 something or other. I doubt it'll come to that, SFF cases don't get as cheap as mATX ones these days.

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
38C ambient is really very warm, like the jungles of thailand or something. Running a PC in such a climate requires extra cooling.

Or do you mean that's the temp reading inside your case?

In any case 78 is pretty high for a CPU so at a minimum you should upgrade to a 120mm air cooler, assuming your case can fit that. And also for case fans, make sure you have at least 1x 120mm intake and 1x 120mm exhaust.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... i5 3330 ... Temp reaches 73C(Ambient Temp 38C) ...
The idle temp is near about 47C for all cores...Is it harmful for my PC ??
... What can be the maximum safe temperature ?
Recently I was gaming for a long time ... and the temp touched 78C ... But there was no lagging issue... I did not even know when it touched 78C ... I am just worried about it's Longevity and affect on motherboard.
... I know Intel rated these chips at 67 degrees, but that's a load of bull ...
Guys,

We have a Guide for this topic. It's a "Sticky" located at the top of the CPUs Forum, where Core_Aurora posted his Thread. If you just glance up there you can't miss it; Intel CPU Temperature Guide 2021. The answers are already there, so you might want to give it a read.

Core_Aurora,

Intel Desktop CPUs have not just one, but two Thermal Specifications, which are called "Tcase" and "Tjunction". Here's the two specifications for your 3rd Generation i5-3330:

Tcase 67°C
Tjunction 105°C

Both specifications are shown on Intel's "Datasheets", which are detailed technical documents that very few users ever look at. However, some users are aware of Intel's "Product Specifications" website, which is a quick reference that shows only Tcase for 6th Generation and earlier, or only Tjunction for 7th Generation and later.

The first specification, Tcase, is what iPeekYou was referring to, and he's correct, in that this specification is highly misleading, and has been confusing users since 2006.

For users of 6th Generation and earlier processors, such as you i5-3330, here's the source of the confusion; since processor temperatures are measured by "Core" temperatures, and there are numerous utilities for doing so, users simply "assume" that Tcase must be maximum Core temperature.

Tcase is NOT Core temperature; it's IHS temperature.

Tcase is a "factory only" temperature that's measured on the external surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) using a "thermocouple" sensor which is embedded in "engineering samples" only. Retail CPUs do not have this sensor, so users have no way to monitor Tcase, nor are there any utilities to do so. Intel's intended purpose for this specification is for developers of aftermarket cooling solutions. This means that for end users, Tcase is an irrelevant specification.

Tjunction is maximum Core temperature, which is also called "Tj Max" or "Throttle" temperature.

This is the Thermal Specification that defines the Core temperature limit at which the processor will automatically "Throttle" (reduce Core speed and voltage) to safeguard against thermal damage. Processors that reach Throttle temperature can cause momentary hesitations in applications and frame stuttering in games.

Although Throttle temperature for your i5-3330 is 105°C, it's not OK for users to run their processors near Throttle temperature. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

If your load temperatures are under 80°C, then idle temperatures are of little interest. So even though your ambient temperature is extremely high at 38°C which is about 100°F (the International Standard for "normal" room temperature is 22°C or 72°F), your Core temperatures are still safe.

There's nothing for you to be concerned about, so relax and enjoy your rig.

CT :sol:

Reactions: sgnz

Core_Aurora

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
Any cooler should show 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Intel pushpin mount can be tricky, but I think you got it right.
The processor monitors it's own temperature and will slow down or shut off to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Running hot is not a problem.
It is excessive voltage applied during overclocking that can damage a processor.
Since your processor can not be overclocke you are safe.

If you want less noise from the cooler, an aftermarket air cooler with a 120mm fan would be a reasonable upgrade.
What is the make/model of your case?
Any cooler needs a good source of front air intake to let a cooler do it's job.
Most tower coolers will require 160mm headroom.
I might suggest the scythe fuma 2 @155mm:
https://www.newegg.com/scythe-scfm-2000/p/13C-0004-00085?quicklink=true

Not to worry, you are good.
Actually My PC cabinet is small. There is no space for front and top air flow. Moreover My HD Readon 7950 Windforce OC makes the space more congested . Will a Mid Tower Cabinate be suitable ?

Core_Aurora

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
38C ambient is really very warm, like the jungles of thailand or something. Running a PC in such a climate requires extra cooling.

Or do you mean that's the temp reading inside your case?

In any case 78 is pretty high for a CPU so at a minimum you should upgrade to a 120mm air cooler, assuming your case can fit that. And also for case fans, make sure you have at least 1x 120mm intake and 1x 120mm exhaust.
I'm from India...In summer 38C is natural here . I have 3 case fans 2 for outlet(1120mm + 180 mm) on right side and one for intake(1*80mm) at the back. No more space in Cabinet. would mid tower be perfect ?

Actually My PC cabinet is small. There is no space for front and top air flow. Moreover My HD Readon 7950 Windforce OC makes the space more congested . Will a Mid Tower Cabinate be suitable ?
A single 80mm fan is not going to generate much airflow.
For cooling, you want airflow to carry generated heat out of the case.
It starts with getting fresh air into the case.
In time, whatever fresh air comes in, itwill exit carrying component heat with it.
Try taking the case side cover off and directing a house fan at the innards.
Case size is not important, other that being large enough to hold your parts.
Look for a case with two 120/140mm front intakes.

Core_Aurora

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
Guys,

We have a Guide for this topic. It's a "Sticky" located at the top of the CPUs Forum, where Core_Aurora posted his Thread. If you just glance up there you can't miss it; Intel CPU Temperature Guide 2021. The answers are already there, so you might want to give it a read.

Core_Aurora,

Intel Desktop CPUs have not just one, but two Thermal Specifications, which are called "Tcase" and "Tjunction". Here's the two specifications for your 3rd Generation i5-3330:

Tcase 67°C
Tjunction 105°C

Both specifications are shown on Intel's "Datasheets", which are detailed technical documents that very few users ever look at. However, some users are aware of Intel's "Product Specifications" website, which is a quick reference that shows only Tcase for 6th Generation and earlier, or only Tjunction for 7th Generation and later.

The first specification, Tcase, is what iPeekYou was referring to, and he's correct, in that this specification is highly misleading, and has been confusing users since 2006.

For users of 6th Generation and earlier processors, such as you i5-3330, here's the source of the confusion; since processor temperatures are measured by "Core" temperatures, and there are numerous utilities for doing so, users simply "assume" that Tcase must be maximum Core temperature.

Tcase is NOT Core temperature; it's IHS temperature.

Tcase is a "factory only" temperature that's measured on the external surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) using a "thermocouple" sensor which is embedded in "engineering samples" only. Retail CPUs do not have this sensor, so users have no way to monitor Tcase, nor are there any utilities to do so. Intel's intended purpose for this specification is for developers of aftermarket cooling solutions. This means that for end users, Tcase is an irrelevant specification.

Tjunction is maximum Core temperature, which is also called "Tj Max" or "Throttle" temperature.

This is the Thermal Specification that defines the Core temperature limit at which the processor will automatically "Throttle" (reduce Core speed and voltage) to safeguard against thermal damage. Processors that reach Throttle temperature can cause momentary hesitations in applications and frame stuttering in games.

Although Throttle temperature for your i5-3330 is 105°C, it's not OK for users to run their processors near Throttle temperature. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced reviewers, system builders and expert overclockers, is that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, software workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

If your load temperatures are under 80°C, then idle temperatures are of little interest. So even though your ambient temperature is extremely high at 38°C which is about 100°F (the International Standard for "normal" room temperature is 22°C or 72°F), your Core temperatures are still safe.

There's nothing for you to be concerned about, so relax and enjoy your rig.

Thanks for your assistance....I am a beginner in this field so I became worried when noticed cpu temperature near 78C....But I Had no issue over performance at that temp also.

InvalidError

Titan
I'm running my i5-3470 with a fan-less 212+, doesn't go much beyond 75C under full load even on hot summer days where my room can hit 40C if I don't run the AC in an Antec 300v2 with 2x120mm in front for intake, 1x120mm rear exhaust, everything else taped shut for dust and foreign object ingress mitigation since my PC is under my desk and I don't want random stuff falling into it.

Core_Aurora

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
I'm running my i5-3470 with a fan-less 212+, doesn't go much beyond 75C under full load even on hot summer days where my room can hit 40C if I don't run the AC in an Antec 300v2 with 2x120mm in front for intake, 1x120mm rear exhaust, everything else taped shut for dust and foreign object ingress mitigation since my PC is under my desk and I don't want random stuff falling into it.
I did not understand fan-less 212+

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I did not understand fan-less 212+
Basically he got a Hyper 212+, but removed the fan.
If you have a small case and not concerned about looks, there's the option of getting the Gammaxx 400 and running the PC without side cover. Set a table fan facing the PC, too, if you can live with that noise. Bonus if the fan swivels and also cools you.

How small is the case really? If you can fit a PCCooler Mini then that's all you need to get. It's the 80mm tower cooler that I mentioned, seems like the kind of Chinese cooler that only our regions would get.

Coming from Indonesia, I figure you too can get cheap modern cases with good airflow these days. The case in my sig is example of one, just avoid the ones with tempered glass front since those ones won't have good airflow. This is pretty much what you need to do if you still want a sleek look and have decent temps also.

Core_Aurora

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
Basically he got a Hyper 212+, but removed the fan.
If you have a small case and not concerned about looks, there's the option of getting the Gammaxx 400 and running the PC without side cover. Set a table fan facing the PC, too, if you can live with that noise. Bonus if the fan swivels and also cools you.

How small is the case really? If you can fit a PCCooler Mini then that's all you need to get. It's the 80mm tower cooler that I mentioned, seems like the kind of Chinese cooler that only our regions would get.

Coming from Indonesia, I figure you too can get cheap modern cases with good airflow these days. The case in my sig is example of one, just avoid the ones with tempered glass front since those ones won't have good airflow. This is pretty much what you need to do if you still want a sleek look and have decent temps also.
Actually look does not matter to me.... only concern is temperature....If I need to install gammaxx 400 , which type of cases would be perfect ??

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Actually look does not matter to me.... only concern is temperature....If I need to install gammaxx 400 , which type of cases would be perfect ??

Whatever you can find locally. Cases are large, heavy items so what you can find in your local store is likely to be a range of different boxes none of us ever heard of.

Just get the largest case you can possibly afford and which will still fit on your desk.

Good case brands are Antec, Corsair, CoolerMaster

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

What's your current case? Maybe we can look it up and see what you're dealing with.

No need to worry about the type of case, the top result on Amazon or Google is what you're looking for. Basic tower case, preferably large and roomy so more room to work with. Get as large as you can comfortably place it like you usually do.

As @TommyTwoTone66 mentioned, those brands are good brands if you want a brand name case. My advice to budget minded users is to pick an off-brand that mimics the brand name ones since they're much cheaper for the same functionality. Keep in mind that even in the cheap cases kingdom, you can get too cheap. Don't buy too cheap, since a few more bucks is easily worth the features and space inside.

Take my Cube Gaming Lich for example, retails for $35 on my local store, and $28 or so online. Cheap? Hell yeah. Got 3x140mm fan mounts up front and 2x140mm on top, plus mesh front panel. Roomy enough to house up to 280mm front and top, even in push/pull.

My previous one was Armaggeddon TR-1100. Can be bought with PSU (not that I'd recommend the PSU) for $27, or just the case for $23. Tempered glass front so no airflow, only 120mm up top (and slim 15mm only), and the 3x120mm fan mounts at the front is unusable for AIO other than 120mm at the middle mount. Bad value compared to the Lich.

As said before, if you're looking to save up instead, get a small 80mm or 92mm tower cooler if available, or run a 120mm like Hyper 212 with side panel open if you can't close it.

What I'd personally do is get a Gammaxx 400, let the side panel open if can't fit, and save up for a new case. Most likely the new case will be carried over through upgrades few years from now, so might as well get one sooner than later.

Unless case manufacturers finally gave in and let us have side panel fans in the future. I'll gladly deal with the hassle of having a fan there for the sake of option and better GPU temps.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Core_Aurora,

If you read my post, then you should now know that your Core temperatures at 78°C are fine ... there's nothing wrong with 78°C. You do not need to spend any money for a better case, fans or a CPU cooler, unless you plan on upgrading to hardware that would actually benefit from it.

Once again, just relax and enjoy your rig.

Reactions: Dj0gany