[SOLVED] I5 6600 non K vs i5 7600 non K

Solution
You will hardly notice any bump in performance. Typically with Intel from one gen to the next, you can expect about a 5-10% boost from IPC improvements. Although there is an increase in clockspeed, when gaming, that difference will only translate to a few FPS, depending on what game you are playing.

Ideally an I7 7700/k would be a much better upgrade.(because you need platform change to go with an I5 8400/9400) You've chosen more of a side-grade. An I7 has more CPU resources, and higher clocks. That combination would be much better as an upgrade.
You will hardly notice any bump in performance. Typically with Intel from one gen to the next, you can expect about a 5-10% boost from IPC improvements. Although there is an increase in clockspeed, when gaming, that difference will only translate to a few FPS, depending on what game you are playing.

Ideally an I7 7700/k would be a much better upgrade.(because you need platform change to go with an I5 8400/9400) You've chosen more of a side-grade. An I7 has more CPU resources, and higher clocks. That combination would be much better as an upgrade.

Solution
Hi,

I will be rearranging some bits in my comp and I'm in a position to trade in my i5 6600 for a i5 7600?

The kaby lake 7600 has a little higher core clock and boost clock am I likely notice any benefit in games. Also according to....

http://hwbench.com/cpus/intel-core-i5-7600-vs-intel-core-i5-6600

It lists the 6600 with having superior performance, How can this be possible with less speed and less memory bandwidth.

Thanks
The 7600 has a 200MHz higher base and boost clock compared to the 6600, with both of them having a 65W TDP. In a perfect setting the 7600 will have a 5% performance advantage, but that would be more synthetic applications, actual will be like 3% for the 7600. Here is a set of benchmarks of a 7600 compared to the 6600K https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2267?vs=2342 They are either equal or the 7600 is ahead. Overall the difference is so small the hassle of changing the CPU isn't worth it in my opinion.

You mentioned it was a trade. As in no cost one processor for another?

A) seems sketchy. Who would trade a 7600 for a 6600 without some sort of catch? Is there a problem with the 7600? New? Used? IIRC the 7 series runs hotter due to internal paste problems. Something else to consider.

B) a K version of either would be a better upgrade. My 6600K is boosts to 4400MHz with minimal effort. Which is faster than any stock 7 series (albeit without the HT)

AMDynamic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
You mentioned it was a trade. As in no cost one processor for another?

A) seems sketchy. Who would trade a 7600 for a 6600 without some sort of catch? Is there a problem with the 7600? New? Used? IIRC the 7 series runs hotter due to internal paste problems. Something else to consider.

B) a K version of either would be a better upgrade. My 6600K is boosts to 4400MHz with minimal effort. Which is faster than any stock 7 series (albeit without the HT)

its just ive a CEX voucher(UK) for £40 lying about that ive had since xmas and CEX currently give around £63 trade in for the 6600, i think the 7600 is around £110 ish so its a simple swap over for me. i can for the same price get a 6600K or for a little more a 7600K but id have to get a beefier cooler for them

It's up to you.

But...

I'd personally hold on to that voucher, if it doesn't have an expiration date. Save up for a more complete upgrade. Technically that's 40£ of your cash you're spending. It's not a straight CPU for CPU+200MHz trade. It's CPU+40£ for CPU+200MHz.

That's the tyranny of gift cards. It doesn't feel like real money. But it is. They are designed and marketed to make them feel "free" but every one is the same as cash. Which itself is a construct...but that's getting into a whole other similar thing.

its just ive a CEX voucher(UK) for £40 lying about that ive had since xmas and CEX currently give around £63 trade in for the 6600, i think the 7600 is around £110 ish so its a simple swap over for me. i can for the same price get a 6600K or for a little more a 7600K but id have to get a beefier cooler for them
The only CPU upgrade that would make sense for you on your current platform is to go to either i7-6700/k or i7-7700/k. While those will help out, even there it doesn't make much sense especially since a Ryzen 5 3600 goes for only 5 quid more than the i7-6700. Granted you would need at minimum a new motherboard as well, but that would be a worth while upgrade.