I5 750 load temperature appears high

nigma2k

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Hi,

New to this forum, as i've only just re-entered the PC building space after such a long time. :eek:
I have just built a new machine with an i5 750. The spec is as below :

Intel i5 750 2.66Hgz
Asus P5P55D iP55 Motherboard
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory CL8(8-8-8-24)
Gainward NVidia GTS250 Green Edition 1GB GDDR3 Graphics Card
CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro Modular Power Supply.
Cooler Master Case with front and rear 120mm fans.
CPU Cooler is stock Intel, but reapplied thermal paste.

Bios Settings are as default with the exception of the memory speed which I had to manually set to 8-8-8-24:
Intel TurboBoost : On
Intel SpeedStep : On.

I understand with the CPU that a multiplier of 20x and a BCLK (FSB) of 133mhz I am able to obtain the 2.66Ghz quoted for the processor. With SpeedStep on the clock frequency will scale up/down depending on system load. I also understand that with TurboBoost, when only 1 or 2 cores of the 4 are being used, the frequency will actually increase above 2.66Gghz.
However, on my system it appears that under load, the multiplier changes to 21x and all 4 cores run at about 2.808 Ghz. See images below. - Surely with 4 cores active, it should never go above 2.66Ghz ?

My other concern is that when my processor is under load (Running Prime95) the temperature shoots up to the mid/late sixties within a few minuets. After about 15mins of running Prime95 all cores are running at about 69deg C. I've not left Prime95 running longer than 30mins, where the temperature seems to stick around 69. The Asus PC Probe software is defaulted to "Alarming" a 60deg C.

I'm concerned that this temperature is too high when under load ? I would have though that the stock cooler should be adequate for all set-ups that are not overclocked ?

Some Images
idleg.jpg

CPU is idle

load.jpg

Running Prime95 for about 3mins

cpuzmemory.jpg

Memory speed settings

cpuzspd.jpg

Memory SPD information

Any help/clarification would be much appreciated. I have searched across other forums about the temperate issue. Some people say that these values are fine and others are saying they are not.

Thanks,
Anand

Well temps look fine to me.

With prime 95 if you haven't reach temps above 70c in like 10mins, then you HSF is doing it's job just fine.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1060/5/