[SOLVED] I5 9400F and what GPU?

Apr 4, 2021
Hey! So I already bought all pc parts for my future PC (minus the GPU), but when I started to understand what was going on in the GPU market, I realized that I rushed in.
I bought the I5 9400F CPU and was supposed to get a RX 580. But I made the choice to save some more money until the stocks and price gets better. I did some research about what GPU should I buy, and I can't decide between a RX 5600 XT and a RX 5700.
I know the CPU isn't the best for these GPUs, and it will cause some spikes in performance, the famous bottleneck, and also the CPU usage would be very high on some heavy games but the thing is, I really didn't want to upgrade PC parts at least for the next 3-4 years... Any advice on what should I do?
P.S: My monitor has Freesync technology, that's why I was focusing on the AMD GPUs, but I'll take some NVidia advice as well.
P.S2: I got 16GB of RAM, I won't do streaming, but I'm planning to run some heavy games like RDR 2, AC: Valhalla and trying to keep up with new releases all at 1080p
Thanks in advance for the help!

Solution
See if the monitor is included in Nvidia's list or if there are experiences from others posted on the net somewhere. There are unconfirmed monitors out there working with Gsync. Usually it's fine though since adaptive sync is associated with Displayport.

InvalidError

Titan
GPU pricing being what it currently is, you may want to reuse whatever you may currently have on hands while you try your hand at NewEgg waffle or whatever other means may be available to you to get a somewhat recent GPU for a reasonable price as the process may take a while.

By the time street prices come back down to sane levels, the RX5600 and RX5700 will likely have been discontinued and their 7nm wafers migrated to their 6000-series replacements or other products and you will be looking at an RX6600 for a comparable price instead.

If you don't have anything you can temporarily toss in, you may need to hunt for a GDDR5 GT1030 or similar just to get you by for the time being.

Apr 4, 2021
GPU pricing being what it currently is, you may want to reuse whatever you may currently have on hands while you try your hand at NewEgg waffle or whatever other means may be available to you to get a somewhat recent GPU for a reasonable price as the process may take a while.

By the time street prices come back down to sane levels, the RX5600 and RX5700 will likely have been discontinued and their 7nm wafers migrated to their 6000-series replacements or other products and you will be looking at an RX6600 for a comparable price instead.

If you don't have anything you can temporarily toss in, you may need to hunt for a GDDR5 GT1030 or similar just to get you by for the time being.

But wouldn't the CPU bottleneck even more the GPU with the RX6600? Like, FPS drops, and CPU usage at 100%... I don't understand much of bottlenecking, but I know that for a good performance I can't have a "trash" CPU and a good GPU. Will I need to buy a more powerful CPU to handle the RX6600?
Also, yeah, I don't have anything to temporarily toss in, I have all the PC parts waiting for a GPU, so I might look for the GT 1030, if the price is worth it

Apr 4, 2021
If 5700 was available, im not sure one would risk having to possibly deal with the issues people had with them. Would 5600 be the better choice regarding chances of having a better experience? Just for curiosity sake.

Nvidia does support a lot of Freesync monitors with Displayport.

I honestly didn't know that people had problems with the 5700, that's something that can change my choice so I guess I'll research a little more on that, thank you for the heads-up.
My monitor is the Samsung T35F IPS 24" FHD 16:9 75Hz FreeSync, does Nvidia support this one?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See if the monitor is included in Nvidia's list or if there are experiences from others posted on the net somewhere. There are unconfirmed monitors out there working with Gsync. Usually it's fine though since adaptive sync is associated with Displayport.

Reactions: dmff_007
Solution