[SOLVED] i5 CPU bottlenecking RTX 2070

Feb 12, 2019
Hi there. I just got my RTX 2070 but my i5 6600k is running 100% constantly and I'm getting loads of stutter and frame drops in games like BFV and R6. Just wondering what CPU most people would recommend I pair it with (And possibly mobo)

My 6600k is still running stock 3.6 since I mistakable purchased a H170A mobo instead of a Z170A mobo (thanks to a sketchy site) meaning I could obviously not put it to work. I never had any issues and thoughts about upgrading since it worked really well with a 1060 until now. Trying to push 2560x1440 144Hz isn't too difficult for a 2070 but it seems impossible for this 6600k.

Solution
you got it backwards, the higher the resolution, the less work the cpu does. so dropping to 1080p actually makes the cpu work harder. this is why the test cpu's at 1080p with a high end gpu to see how much they can make it do. at something like 4k, even a dual core cpu can keep up since the gpu is working so hard and the cpu has to wait a lot to pass info to it.

Kind of right but not quite.

How i understand cpu usage in part is determined by frame rates. Which ever amount fps the gpu is able to do in any given resolution the cpu needs to pre-render first. So, lower the resolution = more fps obviously but the cpu needs to keep up with fps demanded by the gpu. Higher resolutions = less frames so there's not as much pre-rendering...
144 Hz might indeed prove an insurmountable issue for stock clocked 6600K, especially in some of the newer games...(If that's the case, dropping video quality/texture and/or resolution won't help much)

You might need to drop to 1080P (60 or 100 Hz?)on a lesser monitor...?

(Or perhaps you can sell off H 170 MB and CPU combo, and replace with 8400 and B360?)

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you got it backwards, the higher the resolution, the less work the cpu does. so dropping to 1080p actually makes the cpu work harder. this is why the test cpu's at 1080p with a high end gpu to see how much they can make it do. at something like 4k, even a dual core cpu can keep up since the gpu is working so hard and the cpu has to wait a lot to pass info to it.

did you totally wipe the old gpu drivers and then install fresh ones after the upgrade?

many people skip the step and see issues like this after an upgrade.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Kind of right but not quite.

How i understand cpu usage in part is determined by frame rates. Which ever amount fps the gpu is able to do in any given resolution the cpu needs to pre-render first. So, lower the resolution = more fps obviously but the cpu needs to keep up with fps demanded by the gpu. Higher resolutions = less frames so there's not as much pre-rendering for the cpu to do. 1440p resolution isn't as demanding and graphics cards today are able to push high frame rates.

Ideally in these types of games especially in multiplayer where theres much more other work for the cpu to do, you don't want it's work load dominated by frame rates so capping fps can help.

Solution