[SOLVED] i7-12700K usage values are different ?

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Running tests with an i7 12700K. I notice on many different utility softwares that the usage is different. Just curious but does anyone know what numbers I should really be expecting or trust?

Cyberpunk 2077
  • Task Manager: 85-100% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 5%
  • HWMONITOR: 5%
  • HWINFO 5%
Red Dead Online
  • Task Manager: 50% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 2%
  • HWMONITOR: 1%
  • HWINFO 3%
Gaming & Streaming
  • Task Manager: 90% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 12%
  • HWMONITOR: 10%
  • HWINFO 14%
AIDA 64 Stress Test
  • Task Manager: 100% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 100%
  • HWMONITOR: 100%
  • HWINFO 100%
These are just some examples. I'm going to believe that task manager is not going to be accurate. But is this the kind of performance expected from the i7 12th series?
This is a dumb question but curious.

Solution
HWiNFO has a note that says that Task Manager since Windows 8 reports CPU % utilization differently than what it reports, which is a time-based "busy" scheme. I'm guessing the others report in the same way.

For the purposes of this question, they're both accurate. they just measure things differently. Although Microsoft claims their way of measuring is more accurate. If you want more information on how Task Manager measures processor activity since Windows 8, see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/performance/cpu-usage-exceeds-100.

rosteven

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Running tests with an i7 12700K. I notice on many different utility softwares that the usage is different. Just curious but does anyone know what numbers I should really be expecting or trust?

Cyberpunk 2077
  • Task Manager: 85-100% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 5%
  • HWMONITOR: 5%
  • HWINFO 5%
Red Dead Online
  • Task Manager: 50% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 2%
  • HWMONITOR: 1%
  • HWINFO 3%
Gaming & Streaming
  • Task Manager: 90% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 12%
  • HWMONITOR: 10%
  • HWINFO 14%
AIDA 64 Stress Test
  • Task Manager: 100% total usage.
  • Stream Deck CPU Tool: 100%
  • HWMONITOR: 100%
  • HWINFO 100%
These are just some examples. I'm going to believe that task manager is not going to be accurate. But is this the kind of performance expected from the i7 12th series?
This is a dumb question but curious.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm looking for some info that you may be able to provide. I tried using HWMonitor on my 12700K system while running different applications (multithreaded and non-multithreaded), and I only able to utilization on the first thread of Core 0 - all remaining P and E cores show zero activity. Is there some special setup for HWMonitor for using it with a 12700K CPU that I'm missing? Almost forgot to add that I'm also running Win 11... Thanks

HWiNFO has a note that says that Task Manager since Windows 8 reports CPU % utilization differently than what it reports, which is a time-based "busy" scheme. I'm guessing the others report in the same way.

For the purposes of this question, they're both accurate. they just measure things differently. Although Microsoft claims their way of measuring is more accurate. If you want more information on how Task Manager measures processor activity since Windows 8, see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/performance/cpu-usage-exceeds-100.

Solution