[SOLVED] i7-3770 running hot even after disabling turbo boost?

Jun 4, 2020
So for the first time ever I think I tripped the heat sensor for my CPU and my computer restarted (which is probably pretty good considering I have a stock cooler and pretty much only do high end gaming and photo/video processing). After some quick research I learned disabling TurboBoost in the BIOS could help. Tried that and after a few restarts (for some reason it didn’t take effect right away) the clock speed was 3.4GHz instead of 3.9. But the idle temperature only dropped a few degrees from around ~55 to ~50. Checking in the BIOS, the core temps were even higher (between 57 and 60 for each core) when it was running at 3.4GHz. Most people reported idle CPU temp dropped to around ~20 when they disabled TurboBoost.

I wanted to take it a step further, so I enabled Passive Cooling in the Windows Power Settings and waited to see if the clock speed would drop even further. Now when idling, the clock speed is around 1.6GHz, but the temp is still between 48-50 degrees.

So I think one of my problems is the cooler. Probably should have invested in a better one a while ago. But, I still think it’s weird that dropping the clock speed from 3.9GHz all the way down to 1.6GHz has an almost negligible difference on the temperature. Do you guys think that’s weird as well?

Unfortunately I can’t invest anything in my build right now, but is there anything else I can do to make sure that everything is running smooth? I literally have like $10 that I could spare so I think that would be best invested in thermal paste, but I just wanted to double check first.

Solution
"
Do you guys think that’s weird as well?
"
I don't think it's weird if there is something wrong with the cooler or how it is mounted.

"Unfortunately I can’t invest anything in my build right now, but is there anything else I can do to make sure that everything is running smooth? "

I would remove the cooler, repaste it and remount it.
This is cheap.
"
"
I don't think it's weird if there is something wrong with the cooler or how it is mounted.

"Unfortunately I can’t invest anything in my build right now, but is there anything else I can do to make sure that everything is running smooth? "

This is cheap.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Doesn't sound weird to me either. You expect to see minimal temperature differences at different clock speeds at idle.

Who are these "people" seeing these drops? If they're reporting that disabling TurboBoost lead to massive temperatures drop at idle, to a temperature below room temperature then I wouldn't trust them with anything.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Untitled.png

Jun 4, 2020
Doesn't sound weird to me either. You expect to see minimal temperature differences at different clock speeds at idle.

Who are these "people" seeing these drops? If they're reporting that disabling TurboBoost lead to massive temperatures drop at idle, to a temperature below room temperature then I wouldn't trust them with anything.

So of course I can’t find the thread anymore but I think it was on reddit somewhere (I’ve been checking there and here primarily for the info). I didn’t know that was below room temp as I’m a stupid American but that helps thanks. So is around 50 degrees a good idle temp for the CPU?

Jun 4, 2020
"
"

This is cheap.

Cool that was my first thought so I’ll try that. Thanks!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So of course I can’t find the thread anymore but I think it was on reddit somewhere (I’ve been checking there and here primarily for the info). I didn’t know that was below room temp as I’m a stupid American but that helps thanks. So is around 50 degrees a good idle temp for the CPU?

No, it's not a good idle temp. All I'm saying is that you're not going to get huge idle temp differences by disabling Turbo Boost. 50 degrees at idle is way too high and suggests something is physically wrong with your cooler or its current installation.

Jun 4, 2020
No, it's not a good idle temp. All I'm saying is that you're not going to get huge idle temp differences by disabling Turbo Boost. 50 degrees at idle is way too high and suggests something is physically wrong with your cooler or its current installation.

Gotcha, so I’m aiming for around 30-35 for idle temp after I try reapplying thermal paste and reinstalling the cooler?