[SOLVED] i7 4770K CPU Overheated?

Oct 13, 2020
Hi, I've recently been having my computer freeze and crash, and only sometimes I hear five quick beeps. This happens only when I'm gaming, (some games more than others). In Windows Event Viewer, there is an error that shows up under 'System' about WHEA-Logger Event ID 1.

What I've noticed:
  • Task Manager stops responding and computer is overall really sluggish
  • CPU once ran up to 100 C while playing Fifa 21
I have already tried:
  • Replaced CPU cooler and temps go from 35 C (idle) to 70 C (gaming) but still crashes
  • Reseatted CPU and reapplied thermal paste
  • Reseatted all RAM and GPU
  • Checked all wires and plugged them in fully
I'm trying to rule out a hardware error as I'm not really in a position to rebuild a new computer.

CPU: Intel i7 4770K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650w Gold 80+
SSD: SanDisk 480GB SSD

Solution
Hmm, not sure what else to try really.

Possible the overheating damaged the CPU. Also possible that the thermal compound under the CPU heatspreader has failed due to the overheating with the previous cooler. While the sensor reports good temperatures you may have local heating in some spot on the CPU.

De-lidding is risky, and could result in a damaged CPU. But that would be one more place to look for failure.

On the positive side. i7-4770, 4771, 4790/4770k, 4790k aren't too hard to come by on the cheap if something goes wrong. Under $100 if you try a few times on Ebay. Or worst case drop down to a cheap i5, to keep you going.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, not sure what else to try really.

Possible the overheating damaged the CPU. Also possible that the thermal compound under the CPU heatspreader has failed due to the overheating with the previous cooler. While the sensor reports good temperatures you may have local heating in some spot on the CPU.

De-lidding is risky, and could result in a damaged CPU. But that would be one more place to look for failure.

On the positive side. i7-4770, 4771, 4790/4770k, 4790k aren't too hard to come by on the cheap if something goes wrong. Under $100 if you try a few times on Ebay. Or worst case drop down to a cheap i5, to keep you going.

Solution