Question I7 7700 non K always at base frequency speed.

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
Hello community.

So I have a I7 7700 with a gtx 1060 6gb and 16gb of RAM and I recently notice that the CPU is constantly at 3.6ghz, sometimes it goes to 3.8 and then 3.6 again (while playing games like RDR2).
Should't the CPU hit 4.0 ghz when playing demanding games?

Ty all for your time. :)

As more cores become active, the maximum CPU speed decreases. Most monitoring software does a poor job tracking the speed of the non K CPUs.

Try using ThrottleStop 9.6

Turn on the Log File option on the main screen. This will provide you with an accurate look at what your CPU is doing. Copy and paste the log file data to
www.pastebin.com

Enable the C states in the BIOS so Intel Turbo Boost works correctly.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello community.

So I have a I7 7700 with a gtx 1060 6gb and 16gb of RAM and I recently notice that the CPU is constantly at 3.6ghz, sometimes it goes to 3.8 and then 3.6 again (while playing games like RDR2).
Should't the CPU hit 4.0 ghz when playing demanding games?

Ty all for your time. :)
Type in power options in the search bar and see what it's set to.

Edit also check the CPU temp under load, it could be thermal throttling.

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
Type in power options in the search bar and see what it's set to.

Edit also check the CPU temp under load, it could be thermal throttling.
The power option is set to balanced, but can this option reduce the cpu speed, I dont know if I want to put it always in performance...
CPU max temp reaches 69ºC

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The power option is set to balanced, but can this option reduce the cpu speed, I dont know if I want to put it always in performance...
CPU max temp reaches 69ºC
Balanced is fine it let's it down clock when no loaded is on it.

This is not a pre-made PC like from Dell or somebody is it?
Some of them are set like that in BIOS and locked.

What motherboard?

Run this and post a link to the results just to see . https://www.userbenchmark.com/

@marques-1998
Did you check to see if the C states are enabled? You can use HWiNFO to report this information.

SYXJVaF.png

Disabled C states is the #1 reason why Intel Turbo Boost does not work correctly. A Core i7-7700 will be blocked from running at its 4.2 GHz Max Turbo Frequency if the C states are disabled in the BIOS.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...7-7700-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
@marques-1998
Did you check to see if the C states are enabled? You can use HWiNFO to report this information.

SYXJVaF.png

Disabled C states is the #1 reason why Intel Turbo Boost does not work correctly. A Core i7-7700 will be blocked from running at its 4.2 GHz Max Turbo Frequency if the C states are disabled in the BIOS.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...7-7700-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html
C states are enable, I run a stress test and the cpu speed doens't go over 3.6GHz, the correct speed uder that circunstances should be like 4.0GHz right??
Ty :)

the cpu speed doens't go over 3.6GHz
Run ThrottleStop and post some screenshots of your settings. The 7700 has a default TDP power rating of only 65W. If your CPU is set to default values, this might be causing some power limit throttling.

Run Cinebench or a similar stress test. Show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open so I can see if the CPU is reporting why it is throttling. Also post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings.

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
Run ThrottleStop and post some screenshots of your settings. The 7700 has a default TDP power rating of only 65W. If your CPU is set to default values, this might be causing some power limit throttling.

Run Cinebench or a similar stress test. Show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open so I can see if the CPU is reporting why it is throttling. Also post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings.
I run the stess test via Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool.
Send you images via Imgur.
View: https://imgur.com/a/1nO5NQx

@marques-1998
Your screenshots show that the BIOS is not setting your CPU up correctly. Are you using the most recent BIOS version? Is it set to default values?

You can try fixing this problem by using ThrottleStop.

Open the FIVR window and increase all of the individual turbo ratios by +4. ThrottleStop shows the correct default values,

42, 41, 41, 40

Your BIOS has set the turbo ratios to

38, 37, 37, 36

That is why your CPU is being limited to the 3600 MHz base frequency. Someone screwed up.

I would also use ThrottleStop to enable Speed Shift Technology. Check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window to do this. You should see SST light up in green on the main screen when this is done. This technology allows the CPU to get up to speed much faster when it has a task to perform. The CPU hardware can manage its speed much better than Windows can. It is inefficient for a CPU to have all cores stuck at the 8 multiplier when it is idle. CPUs are never idle. When a task needs to be performed the CPU has to be allowed to get up to full speed as quickly as possible.

With a desktop computer it is not a bad idea to just use the Windows High Performance power plan so the CPU can run at full speed all of the time. Intel CPUs do most of their power saving when cores enter the low power C states like C7 when they have nothing to do. This reduces the speed and voltage of individual idle cores to 0. Post a screenshot of the C States window when your computer is idle.

After these adjustments do another round of testing. When you fix a problem or two there can always be a new problem that pops up.

Reactions: marques-1998

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
@marques-1998
Your screenshots show that the BIOS is not setting your CPU up correctly. Are you using the most recent BIOS version? Is it set to default values?

You can try fixing this problem by using ThrottleStop.

Open the FIVR window and increase all of the individual turbo ratios by +4. ThrottleStop shows the correct default values,

42, 41, 41, 40

Your BIOS has set the turbo ratios to

38, 37, 37, 36

That is why your CPU is being limited to the 3600 MHz base frequency. Someone screwed up.

I would also use ThrottleStop to enable Speed Shift Technology. Check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window to do this. You should see SST light up in green on the main screen when this is done. This technology allows the CPU to get up to speed much faster when it has a task to perform. The CPU hardware can manage its speed much better than Windows can. It is inefficient for a CPU to have all cores stuck at the 8 multiplier when it is idle. CPUs are never idle. When a task needs to be performed the CPU has to be allowed to get up to full speed as quickly as possible.

With a desktop computer it is not a bad idea to just use the Windows High Performance power plan so the CPU can run at full speed all of the time. Intel CPUs do most of their power saving when cores enter the low power C states like C7 when they have nothing to do. This reduces the speed and voltage of individual idle cores to 0. Post a screenshot of the C States window when your computer is idle.

After these adjustments do another round of testing. When you fix a problem or two there can always be a new problem that pops up.
My motherboard is an asus ex-b250m-v3, the next update is a beta...
The only think I change was enable XML for better RAM frequency.
This changes that you ask me to do are safe? Or will I do some barbaque :D?
Do I need to run the Throtlle stop everytime to apllay those settings?

@marques-1998
Your CPU is running slower than its rated speed. My suggestions will allow your CPU to run at its Intel rated speed. You cannot overclock your locked CPU so it will be safe.

ThrottleStop does not make any permanent changes. You will need to run ThrottleStop each time you boot up.

The beta BIOS might have fixed this issue. I would just use ThrottleStop. It is safer than updating the BIOS.

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
@marques-1998
Your CPU is running slower than its rated speed. My suggestions will allow your CPU to run at its Intel rated speed. You cannot overclock your locked CPU so it will be safe.

ThrottleStop does not make any permanent changes. You will need to run ThrottleStop each time you boot up.

The beta BIOS might have fixed this issue. I would just use ThrottleStop. It is safer than updating the BIOS.
Well, you solve my problem :D but now I think I discover why I was stuck at 3.6 GHz...
Now running at 4.0, 4.1 GHz my temp go crazy uo to 82ºC....
I replace de thermal paste 2 weeks before.
I can do nothing right?

82C is a normal operating temperature for an Intel CPU.

No need to worry. Intel CPUs are well designed to look after themselves. They will automatically throttle if they ever get too hot. That happens at 100C, not 82C.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it? Intel OEM heatsinks are barely adequate. High temperatures during stress tests are normal when using one.

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
That was ac

No need to worry. Intel CPUs are well designed to look after themselves. They will automatically throttle if they ever get too hot. That happens at 100C, not 82C.

What thermal paste did you use and how did you apply it? Intel OEM heatsinks are barely adequate. High temperatures during stress tests are normal when using one.
That was actually my first time changing thermal paste. I put a bit in the middle of the CPU and using the blue thing on the image I sprend the thermal paste.
View: https://imgur.com/a/glOTk7J

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017

Solve it with a hyper 212 cooler

Reactions: Rokinamerica