[SOLVED] i7 920 overclocking question

cassian69

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hello i have a pc with an i7 920 and i wanna overclock it and i wanna ask a few questions
I dont have a cpu cooler if i go to 3.2GHz will that overheat the procesor?
And also if i only go to 3.2GHz should i even disable turbo boosts if it even supports it?

Solution
If you don't have a CPU cooler, not only can you NOT overclock, you SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING IT, AT ALL, period.

Even at the default stock configuration, with no overclock, you ARE going to destroy the CPU and possibly the motherboard, without a CPU cooler. Stop using the system until you have a CPU cooler installed that was meant for that CPU and socket.

There are NO CPUs that were ever meant to be used without some kind of cooling, although there ARE some that were meant to be used with passive cooling, that is not one of them.
If you don't have a CPU cooler, not only can you NOT overclock, you SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING IT, AT ALL, period.

Even at the default stock configuration, with no overclock, you ARE going to destroy the CPU and possibly the motherboard, without a CPU cooler. Stop using the system until you have a CPU cooler installed that was meant for that CPU and socket.

There are NO CPUs that were ever meant to be used without some kind of cooling, although there ARE some that were meant to be used with passive cooling, that is not one of them.

Solution