Hi,

My system as follows:

Intel Pentium i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz l
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R l
Gigabyte GTX295 l
Gigabyte ODIN Pro 800W l
Mushkin DDR3-10666 tri-channel 6GB @ 1600 MHz l
Thermalright Venomous X

I got my system running smoothly in OS . . been running 20 round intel burn test and then 5 hrs of prime test (wish could be longer . . but lack of time at the mo) and was stable with no errors . . However, when i boot my comp . . the fans and led of my mobo is on for 1 sec and then off again . . then it will boot another time to boot up normally with no overclocks error in BIOS . . I have this happened to my old E5200 and Gigabyte EP43-UD3L OC setup . . Could it be the PSU not supplying enuf power? This wont happen if I dun OC my systen . . will upload BIOS pics later . . Thanks

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
That's a rather healthy overclock for everyday use and it might well be that you're simply pushing it out of its comfort zone.

Have you tried simply backing off a bit and monitoring it to see if it still acts that way?

PSU should be plenty for what you are running.

hairyworld

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Here are the pics of my bios settings and 9hrs of prime (with no errors) . . I flashed my bios to the latest version - F5 . . but that cpu startup problem dunno somehow cause my bios to reset to the ori version . . since 9 hours of prime is stable I dun think I need to flash it to latest version again . .

Here are the scenarios of my startup problem:

1) The cpu turns on and off for a sec and then startup normally
2) The cpu turns on and off itself and doesnt startup . . I need to turn the on button the 2nd time to boot it up . . Once it reach the Gigabyte fancy startup screen and then it off itself and then boot itself again . . When I go into the bios . . My OC saved profile is lost (BIOS setting is default with no saved profiles). Later, I quit bios and enter bios again . . and I have my OC profiles back. Curious to know why is it like these? PSU amp problem?

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
@hairyworld

You mention that you flashed the BIOS.

I hope you returned it to stock settings before you did that as it's not a good practice to flash a system that is OC'd.

I would first see how it behaves at some less stressful settings such as 3.6/3.8Ghz.

If it's fine there then you know you're just pushing it too far.

Every PC is different and one user getting a stable OC at 4.2Ghz does not mean we all can even if we have the same hardware.

3.6Ghz should be easily attainable and if it misbehaves there I'd be inclined to perhaps set it back to stock and flash the BIOS again just to make sure that's not an issue. Make very certain you have the correct BIOS for your motherboard and version number.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Cmon guys, nobody mention the low vtt.

I would raise the vtt to 1.3 or so then raise the ioh and ich to 1.2v.

That should fix your issue. I think this is mostly because of the stress on the memory controller with such a low vtt.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Well my excuse is I generally check my machines for a comparison but since I've been spending the week converting them to Linux I've lost all my monitoring utilities like CPUZ and such. :(

I was too lazy to reboot and go look at my BIOS settings. :D

Almost looks to me as though the RAM voltage might be a tad low too for that OC.

hairyworld

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Hi,

It does boot normally at 1.34 vtt and 1.3v ioh & ich. . but bluescreen at 1st round of intel burn test . . maybe need some more fine tuning at this screen? Thanks in advance . .

hairyworld

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
To trace the prob. further . . I set my qpi/vtt voltage to 1.355 volt. and other settings remaining the same (including IOH and ICH) is auto . . it does give a smooth startup but BSOD at IBT test . . well . . 1.355 volt is already pink colour in bios . . is it ok to raise it higher? Wad's the max cap? Thanks