[SOLVED] I9-10850K Best Cooling Options?

Chris Boyett

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Greetings and Salutations, I am getting an I9-10850K and I know they are hot as heck heat beasts. I am using the MSI MPG Gungnir 110M case and would prefer an AIO cooler for the CPU to limit the amount of case heat due to the rtx 3080 I managed to snag as well. I don't plan to overclock initially but may down the road but it is not /that/ important to me since normal turbo boost (with MCE turned off) should be fine for most things really (Unless it's not).

That said, the case can easily support a 240 radiator AIO on the top (Which is ideal for me I think) or a 360 on the front (Have to remove front fans, not something I am looking forwards to)

So are there 240 AIO's that can safely keep the heat on a 10850K reasonable or should I bite the bullet and front mount a 360mm?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
So are there 240 AIO's that can safely keep the heat on a 10850K reasonable or should I bite the bullet and front mount a 360mm?
Definitely, but you can forget about overclocking - if that's something you're into.
Front mounted hybrid is probably still the better option here, because of the 3080:
A top mounted hybrid will have to cope with not just the cpu's heat, but the gpu's as well; since most users like to grab the models with the fancy coolers, but those models dump their heat inside the chassis.

In other words, a top mounted 280/360mm would be best if you really want to stick with a top mounted hybrid... unfortunately, the selected chassis doesn't support those sizes up top.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely, but you can forget about overclocking - if that's something you're into.
Front mounted hybrid is probably still the better option here, because of the 3080:
A top mounted hybrid will have to cope with not just the cpu's heat, but the gpu's as well; since most users like to grab the models with the fancy coolers, but those models dump their heat inside the chassis.

In other words, a top mounted 280/360mm would be best if you really want to stick with a top mounted hybrid... unfortunately, the selected chassis doesn't support those sizes up top.

Solution

Chris Boyett

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
I'm not caring about overclocking so much as keeping the chip safe and not throttling itself at the 4.8 turbo boost it can reach on its own. Something to keep in mind. I have done a custom water setup before but would like to avoid it this time. Unfortunately not sure what type of 3080 I'm receiving yet as it's part of the package, and I am waiting for a response from the seller which is why I am seriously considering an AIO instead of air cooling which I usually use. All else fails looks like Noctua has some good products for air cooling but I'd like to go for aio/liquid this time around just for stability in temperature as my computer is on almost 24/7.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not caring about overclocking so much as keeping the chip safe and not throttling itself at the 4.8 turbo boost it can reach on its own.
Not an issue with these 10th gens as Intel was real conservative on the power limits.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOCrcOfTsLg

The problem comes in when people want to push higher clocks, or sustain the all core clock indefinitely on these cpus = inferno.

Unfortunately not sure what type of 3080 I'm receiving yet as it's part of the package
Well, if isn't a blower card, then it's pretty much going to be one of the dual/triple axial fan models - dump heat in the chassis.

Chris Boyett

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Right which is why I figure I will need the water cooler. It'll probably be a Zotac or MSI 3080 (just hope it's not a PNY, only brand I have had absolute atrocious luck when it comes to gpu). I guess I am on the hunt for a solid 240 with not bombastic audio noise.

D

Deleted member 2838871

No regrets with the 360mm on my 10900k... but I went with a good airflow case... mounted it up top... and called it good.

Chris Boyett

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
No regrets with the 360mm on my 10900k... but I went with a good airflow case... mounted it up top... and called it good.
I would have to front mount a 360mm which I may try, I will see haven't set in stone what kind of cooling solution I am going to go with.

@Phaaze88 You are absolutely correct about controlling the fans, definitely something I will figure out. Going to have to play with it a bit but I've seen a few temp vids where a 10900K was pushed to 5.2ghz solid and a 280 or 240mm was able to control it without issues.

Guess I'm just tired of the chunk block of an air cooler and want something sleek and pretty inside my case :)

D

Deleted member 2838871

Guess I'm just tired of the chunk block of an air cooler and want something sleek and pretty inside my case :)

Heh... when I was researching my build I saw that Noctua air cooler... and then I saw the Z73 AIO with the sweet LCD display that didn't take up half the case... so I went with the Z73. I normally don't pay extra for aesthetics... but this time I did... choosing it over the X73. My old cooler was the X62 and this is so much better than the plain "NZXT" logo on the face of the AIO.

Chris Boyett

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Heh... when I was researching my build I saw that Noctua air cooler... and then I saw the Z73 AIO with the sweet LCD display that didn't take up half the case... so I went with the Z73. I normally don't pay extra for aesthetics... but this time I did... choosing it over the X73. My old cooler was the X62 and this is so much better than the plain "NZXT" logo on the face of the AIO.
I'm looking at the z73 but I might go with the z63 because 280mm should be fine but... who knows.

Nov 8, 2021
Greetings and Salutations, I am getting an I9-10850K and I know they are hot as heck heat beasts. I am using the MSI MPG Gungnir 110M case and would prefer an AIO cooler for the CPU to limit the amount of case heat due to the rtx 3080 I managed to snag as well. I don't plan to overclock initially but may down the road but it is not /that/ important to me since normal turbo boost (with MCE turned off) should be fine for most things really (Unless it's not).

That said, the case can easily support a 240 radiator AIO on the top (Which is ideal for me I think) or a 360 on the front (Have to remove front fans, not something I am looking forwards to)

Thanks in advance.
I'm using an old coolermaster 240mm aio that was on sale for $69 about two years ago on my 10850k and it keeps it in check I have the 10850k at 4.9 all core at 1.3 voltage so not a crazy overclock but it keeps it at 60-67C while playing Apex legends for 1 hour plus - case is an nr600 240mm at the top with three intake fans at the front and one exhaust at the back if that helps. Sorry forgot to mention im currently running a blower style 5700xt in the case so that probably helps alot I have a 3090 I could swap into to see how that affects temps just let me know