Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Hello!

I just read that ram speed can cause compatibility issues with the CPU. I have an i9 10850k, and am using 16 gb DDR4 corsair vengeance pro RAM. I have been using the RAM at its base clock speed (2133) because earlier this year when I would set the speed above that, it would blue screen my PC. However, I think this was because I was using a brand new motherboard that literally just released. I updated the BIOS for the first time since earlier this year and have my RAM clocked at 3200 now, and haven't had a crash in 1 day since doing so.

I would like to ask what this means (pulled directly from ASUS motherboard web page) : "* 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7/i9 processors support 2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 natively, others will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2666MHz. "

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Means on certain motherboard chipsets, ie H410, B460, where memory speed is locked and based on cpu's memory controller, i7/i9s can run 2933 ram and i3/i5s at 2666. Z chipsets can push higher regardless of processor. This has changed with 5xx series motherboards, B560 allowing xmp above cpu's memory controller. H510 is still limited to cpu mc though. Can look up cpu's memory speed on Intel's website if search a particular class of cpu.

Bios update may have improved memory compatibility so that's probably why it worked this time.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Means on certain motherboard chipsets, ie H410, B460, where memory speed is locked and based on cpu's memory controller, i7/i9s can run 2933 ram and i3/i5s at 2666. Z chipsets can push higher regardless of processor. This has changed with 5xx series motherboards, B560 allowing xmp above cpu's memory controller. H510 is still limited to cpu mc though. Can look up cpu's memory speed on Intel's website if search a particular class of cpu.

Bios update may have improved memory compatibility so that's probably why it worked this time.

Solution