[SOLVED] i9-9900K cooling upgrade?

Mar 21, 2020
Hello, I currently have an i9-9900K OC @ 5GHZ 1.356 Volts. I have a Corsair H115i Pro Platinum 280mm AIO cooler when I ran Cinebench the package temp was around 93c and on idle it is around 55c is this normal? Should I direct die cool this CPU or get a bigger aio like a 360 mm. I was also planning on pushing it, even more, like 5.2 or 5.3 GHz.
What options do I have?
thanks

Last edited:
Solution
so I have the AVX offset at 0 and the LLC is set to the auto setting in my bios does that affect anything?
Yeah, it does. Cinebench does use some AVX instructions, and since you left the offset at 0, that's really demanding some extra power and voltage for stability.
As I said earlier, "At the same frequencies, AVX instructions need more voltage to run, draws more power, and thus produces more heat than the standard instruction set."
If you use an AVX offset of 2 or 3, you should be able to run with less vcore than you're doing now to get both stable.

As for the LLC setting being on Auto, it depends on how efficient the mobo is at it. HWINFO is one way to check how much voltage the Auto setting is using for Vcore.

I also...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
360mm, custom loop, or bust.
280mm not enough for 5.0ghz? Although, I have to wonder what changes to bios you made. There are some mis-informative overclocking guides out there that some people follow that have them set some crazy settings, often doing more harm than good.
Some of the more common mistakes are:
-Higher LLC settings than needed that only serve to make the cpu run hotter. No need to do more than medium-high. The extreme ones are for LN2, or custom cooled setups - mobo VRMs custom cooled too.
-Not setting an AVX offset. At the same frequencies, AVX needs more voltage to run, draws more power, and thus produces more heat than the normal frequencies.

Mar 21, 2020
360mm, custom loop, or bust.
280mm not enough for 5.0ghz? Although, I have to wonder what changes to bios you made. There are some mis-informative overclocking guides out there that some people follow that have them set some crazy settings, often doing more harm than good.
Some of the more common mistakes are:
-Higher LLC settings than needed that only serve to make the cpu run hotter. No need to do more than medium-high. The extreme ones are for LN2, or custom cooled setups - mobo VRMs custom cooled too.
-Not setting an AVX offset. At the same frequencies, AVX needs more voltage to run, draws more power, and thus produces more heat than the normal frequencies.
so I have the AVX offset at 0 and the LLC is set to the auto setting in my bios does that affect anything? I also have been reading that there is not much of a difference between the 280mm aios and the 360mm aios. I also have considered on a custom loop, the only issue with this is that my case only can support a 280mm rad in the front but I may have enough room to mount one at the top of my case. Do you think that dual 240 mm rads are better in cooling?
thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
so I have the AVX offset at 0 and the LLC is set to the auto setting in my bios does that affect anything?
Yeah, it does. Cinebench does use some AVX instructions, and since you left the offset at 0, that's really demanding some extra power and voltage for stability.
As I said earlier, "At the same frequencies, AVX instructions need more voltage to run, draws more power, and thus produces more heat than the standard instruction set."
If you use an AVX offset of 2 or 3, you should be able to run with less vcore than you're doing now to get both stable.

As for the LLC setting being on Auto, it depends on how efficient the mobo is at it. HWINFO is one way to check how much voltage the Auto setting is using for Vcore.

I also have been reading that there is not much of a difference between the 280mm aios and the 360mm aios.
Do you think that dual 240 mm rads are better in cooling?
There is a difference, and it's capacity. 300w of heat for 280mm, and 350w for 360mm.
Once the comfort zone of cooler capacity is met, there are serious diminishing returns on getting bigger, beefier, and more expensive cooling solutions.

For the 2nd part: only if you have no intention of dialing down on the AVX frequency. As you're already seeing, 280mm isn't cutting it with 0 AVX offset.

Solution
Mar 21, 2020

There is a difference, and it's capacity. 300w of heat for 280mm, and 350w for 360mm.
Once the comfort zone of cooler capacity is met, there are serious diminishing returns on getting bigger, beefier, and more expensive cooling solutions.

For the 2nd part: only if you have no intention of dialing down on the AVX frequency. As you're already seeing, 280mm isn't cutting it with 0 AVX offset.
Alright thank you