IBM 15K SCSI or Seagate X15?

G

Should i wait for the new IBM 15K SCSI hd or Seagate's x15 is good enough?thinking of upgrading my storage system to SCSI!which SCSI RAID adapter should i get?will be doing RAID 0.TIA!

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hard to tell yet...IBM released their own stats for the drive, but as far as i can find nobody else has seen it or had a chance to test it. One other you may wanna consider is the Fujitsu MAJ series. www.storagereview.com seems to list it as the best in its class, and add that to toms review where it lists it as nearly as cool and quiet as the IBM IDE drive..and it makes it real attractive for a workstation or home pc. Its what ive decided to get.
storagereview.com was strange about one thing, they say that the Cheetah 36 is the leader in its category, but when you read the review of the Fujitsu, they say it beats all others.....

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

G

Well StorageReview didn't include the X15 in their Fujitsu MAJ review, and the X15 is definitely above and beyond the Cheetah 36LP. They did include the Fuj MAJ in the X15 review (this one I can't explain since the X15 is dated earlier than the MAJ review). The X15 is clearly still the best SCSI drive out there, and until someone gets their hands on the IBM the answer to the question is unknown with money set aside.

Considering money, the MAJ drive can be had for 200$ cheaper than the X15, which makes it fairly attractive drive with very nice access times. No where near the X15 according to IO meter, but then no other drive is. I will say that if the IBM is even remotely better than the X15, it will bare a hefty price tag. If it's just a little better and the price is way higher, you'd probably do yourself justice going with the X15.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Since im in the market...i wanna be sure of what im gettin hehe.
The two main reasons i decided to go Fujitsu are: heat and noise seem to be GREATLY improved over as far as ive seen or heard, all other SCSI drives, and nearly comparable to IDE. A big importance if im considering RAID 0 or 5...since if i go 0 im flyin without a net and dont wanna lose my files. Im gonna throw one extra simple fan in my case to handle my SCSI drives, should suffice if im using the MAJ`s..doubtfull for any other.

In reference to the X15, ive heard alot of good about it, and then ive also read some bad, like this: <A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/pipreviews/0,8827,258669,00.html" target="_new">http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/pipreviews/0,8827,258669,00.html</A> Which is why i i thought maybe i didnt see as many X15 reviews as id like, because you dont see it reviewed often really.

Price is important to me yes, but only as so far as i want to get what im paying for, and what i want is top of the line speed where there is SUBSTANTIAL improvement. There seems to be a point where there really is none anymore. But id love to see benchmarks of the MAJ VS X15

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

G

>>But id love to see benchmarks of the MAJ VS X15<<

Well you mentioned StorageReview. So just go over there and select the X15 and MAJ in their database or read the X15 review to see the comparison.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***