Does anyone know if IDE cables come with a master only connector.

My system will have 3 x Master & 1 x Master + Slave cables. I won't be adding anything and I figured it would be tidier and therefore increase airflow. I'd prefer round cables if possible.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
The BIOS detects master and slave drives through the drive's jumpers and not the cable. It doesn't matter which end or middle slot you plug into the drive. If you are talking about an IDE cable with only one slot (front and end), there are tons.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Unless you're doing cable select (or jumperless), in which case the end one is master and the middle is slave.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

I know that much man. What I'm after is effectively a cable with two connectors and as little distance between them, so there's little or no excess cable lag.

Can I cut the cable in half and use the "slave" connector as a master?

<b>
</b>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.cablewholesale.com/catalog/idecables.htm" target="_new">link 1</A>
<A HREF="http://www.cables.cc/cgi/cart.pl?db=stuff.dat&category=IDE" target="_new">link 2</A>

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Options are looking good, but...I'm in the U.K.

Do these companies ship here/have a sister in U.K.?

Fatburger: No problem.

<b>
</b>

One other thing (I know, I'm going on a bit now).

These manuals always say "plug the blue connector into the mobo"

Does this really matter?

<b>
</b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
For sure if you're doing cable select, but I'm not sure about it otherwise. You might as well do it anyway, there's no reason not to (unless you're thinking of cutting off the blue end and using the shorter slave-master part of the cable).

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

I was thinking of the shorter part. Any reduction of mass crap inside is a plus.

Hey!! There you go "Mass of crap inside" a new sig for the flamer of your choice!

<b>
</b>