Identifying a processor

G

I need some help identifying a processor. I dont know if it has full clock cache or not. The only thing I have is the numbers on it.
AMD-K7950MNR53B A
Obviosly it is an AMD 950 I think :) but just wondering about the speed of the cache on the chip if that is possible?????? Without actually building the system. I have acquired this processor on a GA-71XE mobo and am just wanting to see what I have before I put a bunch of money in it. Thanks for any help you pro's can give me.

G

K7 is Athlon. So whatever the Athlon's cache is, that's what this has.

G

I'm pretty sure you could tell by the way the processor is packaged. If it's a cartridge (slot-A) processor, then there's a good probability (if not certainty) that it's got external cache chips (512k) running at around 1/3 or 2/5 the core clock. If it's a socket-A package, you're guaranteed on-die cache (256k) running at full clock.

I hope I'm not horribly wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. If I'm completely sticking my foot in my mouth, somebody please tell me, k? ;)

Cheers!

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a program called wcpuid. I think that it will identify any cpu or is it just intel cpu's? I don't know but look to see if you can find a link to it it will tell you all you need to know. (if it works on amd cpu's that is)

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

G

You have a 950 Athlon slot part. The "A" denotes the fab process which is .18 micron. Your cache mem chips should be 350Mhz with a 1/3 devisor.... The fastest cache chips AMD used were 350s. I suppose yours could be slightly slower and still function on a 950 core. Good part!

<font color=green> slice-N-dice </font color=green>
Nothing travels faster than the speed of pain

G

Thanks for the Help guys I think I will build this system afterall :) I won this processor and mobo in an online contest heh heh When i get this system up it should run circles around my 450 system I am using now :)