Question Idle power draw stuck at 640W

thevoidblade

Prominent
Nov 14, 2021
Hi,

I was looking for some advice. I have a feeling this is something to do with the VRMs maybe. This laptop had an overheating problem due to really old thermal paste and a fan that was almost totally blocked. I have since cleaned the paste off. Reapplied new paste and cleaned out the fans. All working great, but now the board power draw is through the roof on idle and the clock capped due to it.

grab.gif

I am not quite sure what the issue is. I read elsewhere to try a vbios flash. But I wanted to ask first. Thank you for any help.

thevoidblade

Prominent
Nov 14, 2021
you might have to reopen it anf check if there is nothing you made that could cause this power draw and yes it is realy high .
Yeah. I kinda wish I checked the power draw prior to opening it. Mind it was throttling before that too and had temps on something like 73C at idle. The fans were really choked.

thevoidblade

Prominent
Nov 14, 2021
was high in temp so could be board or power system damage hard to tell .
Yeah. That was what I was thinking maybe... The thermal paste was super dried out. I'll leave this thread open, but I think I'll need to open it up and take a look. I'll get around to it. If you or anyone else have any other ideas, I'd love to hear.