IE7 cannot connect to internet but can use msn and ping google

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Hi Pat,
I've been wondering about deleting the connection, but I can't find an option to do it. Sort of uninstalling and reinstalling the network card.

The right click options don't include delete.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
A cunning plan - I shall try it. I've just checked for a more recent firmware revision, but there doesn't seem to be one available.

Not quite cunning enough - still doesn't allow me to delete it - neither does disabling it and unpluging the cable.

Going to try a wireless adaptor, connect to a different router.

Jeremy

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
One more trick up my sleeve.
goto device manager and disable the network card and try one of these.
Then try to delete it. If not try to reboot and check device manager if it is still disabled then try to delete it.(the connection)

If neither of those work I have on more trick but you will nedd the network card drivers for that so save that one for now.

Ps dont go for firmware only drivers if necessay. Lets not add to the problem.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Right, somewhat unsurprisingly - I connect the wireless adaptor, set it up as the only available network connection. I can ping www.google.com but Ie still doesn't connect.

Probably confirms that it is the http port that is not open - however I have no idea how to open it.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
The repair connections tool runs through various different things, ending with "Windows has finished repairing your connection you can try connecting again".

Just about to update the device drivers now. Latest version from Intel website.

J

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I've done a scan with AVG Free 8.5 with definitions from last month, and the computer basically hasn't been used on the internet since before then - I'm supposed to be enabling it for network broadband.

It didn't find anything other than tracking cookies.

New drivers haven't made any difference, still same issue with non-connection.

Jeremy

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Not to worry we arent done.
Hope you arent in England or somewhere and have to goto sleep.
If so let me know. I dont have to work tomorrow or the next day, or the next etc.

goto the same place this time programs and goto addons and disable all of them.
Also goto start|run type msconfig and goto startup
uncheck anything that you dont think is important and reboot

Something is causing this and we will find it.

I should have realized it would be difficult to get the dslreports.com/tools to run on the other computer.

My Hijack log has an empty entry @
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode with Networking? I think you'll need to create a new broadband internet connection from inside safe mode. The existing profile won't be available IRC.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Hi Pat and WR2, thanks for the replies again,

I'll have to get back to you later as to whether they are successful, anything else you think up would obviously be greatly appreciated!

Also Pat you sent me a PM, but the forum isn't letting me get at it at the moment.

Jeremy

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Let's recap, we've come throught loads of stuff thus far:

1. The network itself works - other machines are using it

2. The connection to the internet works - other machines using it

3. There is some connectivity from the machine as msn works and can ping websites - implies that some ports are open and avaliable

4. Can ping www.google.com and its respective IP address from command prompt - implies dns is working

5. Neither IE7, Firefox3 nor AVG Free can access the internet but MSN can, windows firewall is disabled - implies this is not an application specific problem.
- NB: AVG Free uses port 80 to update

6. I have created a new network connection using wireless dongle connecting to a different router and still the problem persists - implies an issue above the network layer.

7. Hijack This picks up an unusual line entry R1 with proxy server and it has come to light that the machine may have been connected to a local govenment server via a home router (proxy?)
"R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 192.168.0.1:80"

8. Machine has been checked and found virus free.

Summary:
This seems to be an issue somewhere between the network layer and the application layer.

Possible causes:
- R1 entry in registry - trying to access proxy server at low level
- Port 80 (http) is blocked in some different area.

So:
- It would be usful to test over various other ports - pin it down to just port 80
- Work out whether just editting the registry entry would solve the problem? (Can I just try it? If so how?)

Thanks for the help again!!

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Pat, what am I looking for, I'm about to boot up and install those tools.

Now got msn failing on me due to a "key ports" error. Not sure what that is about.
But pinging google.co.uk still works fine.
Also just tried accessing the itunes store - that won't go either.

Edit - now installed:

So from Process Explorer selecting the instance of IE in the TCP/IP tab I have:
- Resolve address - checked
- UDP | localhost:1030 | *:* | blank
Selecting the MSN messenger instance I have:
- Resolve address checked
- UDP | localhost:1031 | *:* | blank

From TCPView looking at the IE instance:
- protocol is set to UDP
- process name is iexplore.exe:3628
- localaddress is set to the name of the machine
- remote address is set to *:*
- state is blank
For msn instance
- Process name is msnmsgr.exe:2080
- All others are the same

Also I've previously tried running IE with no add-on's but that didn't seem to help proceedings.

Jeremy

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
No, any entry under local address or remote address is the full computer name or *:*.

192.168.0.1:80 doesn't occur in any of the other columns either.

Noteable it also doesn't appear on TCPView on my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.