IE7 cannot connect to internet but can use msn and ping google

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Pat McGroin - Thank you for this. I had the same problem, but like the previous poster... I started at the beginning too, following along checking everything as well..

And damn if it wasnt Norton!! And the removal too worked. I even had my IT guy at work stumped and he suggested reformatting the hard drive and starting over!!!

I owe you a beer!

Mary / Texas

ib42

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I was frustrated for a whole week since that damned 'Total Security' screwed my system up to where I could not connect to google or search for anything. Yahoo and msn connected , but still no search capabilities, just 'this page cannot be displayed'. Did all the usual stuff like running Super antispyware at first in safe mode, finding the trojans and deleting them, emptying dns, uninstalling IE three times, reinstalling and more, all with no luck. Came across a guy, on another helpful site with a similar problem, who showed us all the way out of this crappy place.
He went into Windows, system32 looked for a file which had 'hosts' in it, installed deviously by the malware decribed above on the date of the infection, and deleted the file. VOILA!!
All other files in system32 were dated 2004, when I got the computer, so that bad one stood out like a sore thumb!
Good luck....try it and let me know what happens.
If I sound like I know WTF I'm talking about, forgive me...all I care about is....IT WORKED!

SoulieBaby

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I have the same problem, but don't have Norton on my maching (have Trend Micro), tried everything that's been suggested to no avail... :( Happened about 6pm last night, it can connect through MSN, can connect to the network, but can't browse the internet..

Zios

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
i am having similar problems i get login to my email or my youtube account it goes to cannoct connect page.

please help.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
In order to help both of you it would be helpful is you describe any and all of the above steps that you have tried along with the out come of them.
A description of your system and a hijack this log would of use also.

Zios

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
its even more serious then i thought now im getting a run32.dll error looks like ima have to reformat. but later i will do a hijack this scan and post it here.

BTW im running windows vista home premium

EDIT: it seems like i cant log in to any email. i tried doing an compress and email win winrar when i tried to enter the email address a thing about http came up

G

As more and more people use the internet for troubleshooting it increases the amount of info with a lowering of the quality of info.

This thread bucks that trend and is a breath of fresh air.

It helped resolve my issue with McAfee where I had identical symptoms (port 80 blocked).

Thanks to all contributors/posters.

G

Heyo, I'm just here to say thanks for this thread. I was in the same situation as well.

One day, on my parent's laptop, Windows found a trojan. I decided to download AVG free, scanned, and got rid of some additional trojans. Afterwards, I couldn't browse the internet with Firefox, Chrome, or IE.

I checked every settings listed:
- Proxy Settings
- DNS Settings
- Repairing all connections.
- Releasing Renewing IPs
- Rebbooting Routers/Modems

I could ping websites just fine (www.google.com); However, I couldn't use any applications to connect.

I disabled firewalls, uninstalled all anti-virus/malware programs and checked all processes that were running and all seemed normal.

I tried browsing in safemode, but still couldn't connect.

Then I tried "netsh winsock reset catalog" and bingo-bango!

Thanks again! :)

G

Thanks so much for all your threads, I had the same problem and used the norton removal tool. It worked fine after removing Norton. That is the cure. :)

leofrancis00

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hi all, well done on a great thread.

We have a new spin on these symptoms which people might now have.

All of these symptoms can now be a problem with a virus. Its a worm called koobface and can be seen if you msconfig and check your startup list. check this site http://www.virusremovalguru.com/?p=518

It all comes from facebook links sent as notifcations, mostly about videos.

Good luck!

govain

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Thank you guys very much for this post. My boss asked me to fix her computer and after hours of frustration and browsing I stumbled across this. I am now posting from said computer. Yet another reason for Norton to die in a fire. Thanks again and keep up the good work, I owe you guys a beer.

bretton_s

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Just thought I would chime in with my experience. I have a clients' computer with the same symptoms as you all. I tried everything including running serveral removal programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.) with no luck. Starting to lose hope I checked IE settings without much hope. Lo and behold, there was proxy server set there to 127.0.0.1. No wonder it wouldn't browse! I unchecked the proxy and away it went.

It just goes to show you that sometimes it IS the simple things. Really appreciated everyone's input nonetheless. Hope this helps someone as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.