IE7 cannot connect to internet but can use msn and ping google

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've loaded up and used a couple of proxy servers in IE7 just to gain some insight. I now have a new entry in my registry:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 82.206.222.13:8080
82.206.222.13 on port 8080 is the last proxy server I used. Only the last value used is stored there.

I have no problem surfing without the proxy when I turn the proxy off through:
Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Settings

Lets try using a known good proxy server in the UK:
213.185.116.152 port 80

The private IP address of 192.168.0.1:80 makes me think a former owner of that system had a private proxy server running on his local network.
But even so if the proxy server is switched off in IE7 it should bypass trying to connect to a proxy.
And Firefox should have not been affected even when IE was working through a proxy.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
first jeremy I think you already did that as posted earlier.

Wr2,
We managed to get rid of the proxy entry from the registry and sadly it didnt help.
Looking back through the hijack log Im wondering if it could ba a leftover from
whatever norton thing she had at one time.

Jeremy here is a link for a norton uninstaller that I think youll have to transfer to the non working computer somehow.
Can you do that> maybe a disk if so try this link and see if it will work.
It talks of saving the serial number but I dont think you will need it to run. I think its only needed if you want to reinstall
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2007080716174339?Open&docid=2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid

I think thats an excellent guess.

Anyone ready to try a different network adapter?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
One more thing I found to try If it is SP2
1. Click on Start then run again and cmd should still be there press enter.
2. Type in (no quotes) "netsh winsock reset catalog" then press enter(in a few seconds you should get a message saying that system must be restarted)
type exit and reboot.

If that doesnt work we'll see about reinstalling tcp/ip

I dont think its the adapter because he can use messenger and a few other things.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
wr2
Please keep checking in on this thread as Im starting to run out of ideas here.
If the above things dont work there is pretty much the TCP and or a repair install left as far as I can figure.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Right - sorry for the delay in getting back to you again.

I'll get the norton tool on and run that - use a pen drive to get it across.

For WR2's benefit we've sort of ruled out the network adaptor by, as you suggest, trying another one.

I've just put SP3 onto it, but I can try resetting winsock anyway. Does this link into the the TCP stack?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
No its just wins but is worth a try.

We can try TCP in a bit if we need to.
I just emailed someone with a better understanding of networking than I do
and hopefully he isnt real busy and can check on us and see if we are missing something.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
For now lets try something different.
Go to start|run|msconfig|startup and uncheck everything that the computer doesnt need to run and reboot.
We can can see if something is starting and cousing this that I didnt catch.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Right, Norton has gone.

And you know we all hate Norton - we now we have even more reason to.

I've got BBC News up. AVG updates are downloading....

Good result!!

Thank you so much for you help!!

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
A triumph indeed - we all deserve a beer or something - but I can't really buy you one across the forums!

I certianly will be steering well clear of Norton in the future.

Now all I've got to do is install the RAM I was supposed to put in origonally....

Perfect result. Thanks very much.

Jeremy

PS. 500th post!

desertdirk

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

I have had this same problem with Vista. Could not get on the internet, but could ping, and had yahoo messenger etc. I have been working on this problem for 3 days and call a few tech people. Using the Norton removal tool did the trick. I so hate Norton.
many many thanks
Dirk

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007

Yeah, kept us hugely entertained! Nearly reinstalled everything.
Lesson learnt for next time: Get rid of Norton before you start!

Unfortunately Norton 2009 seems to be the best option for my other half's laptop - I've found an OEM copy for £17, as opposed to £50 for everything else. The alternative is McAfee for £7, but it's heavier on the computer.

Any thoughts?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Hey JP
I hope things are still going well.
I use Avast here on my computer.
I like it. It has caught many things and has never let me down.
It updates each day.
Its easy on the resources
It works with Email, instant messaging, P2P, browsing,networking etc.
Everyone that has had Norton or Mcafee and had me switch them to avast has been thrilled. Everything is much faster and the best part is that it is FREE.
No cost and no subscription fees like the other 2 want.

Another one that I hear is real good is Eset Nod32
I havent really used it but I hear real good things about it.
Its not free however but not expensive either.

jhake10

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I was working on a laptop with windows vista home premium for 6hours trying to figure out this problem. The globe icon was shown representing connection to the internet but the browser would not connect and the pings worked I did not even think of Norton since i uninstalled it from add/remove programs, i though it was a clean uninstall. I used the removal app and everything is working great.
Thanks Alot!!!

Schatten

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Guys these was really awesome, I read every post to the end and it was like a fiction novel or something (I had the same problem here) and I had done almost everything you said, but I knew it'd be more interesting if I waited to see the answer (at first I thought I should skip the boring part and go straight to the answer) but these were the most worth time so far this week...

I'm a little geek as you may see... anyway this norton thing solved my problem and I didn't think it would when I saw it, in fact I didn't download th tool until the second guy said it had fixed his problem.

I just wanted to say that this was very useful and thank everyone in the post for their ideas.

Saludos desde México... viva México cabrones!!!! jajajajaja

ray_cluffy

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Absolutely brilliant thread and forum.

I had exactly the same problem and have been pulling my hair out for weeks. Tried the Norton uninstaller (as per Pat recommended) and it fixed the issue.

Well done to everyone who helped/posted etc. Brilliant.

Ray

flangemonger

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Pat McGroin, I will pat your groin any time you like. I'd spent three hours trying to figure out why a Vista machine was able to ping the internet but not browse. I ran the Norton Removal Tool as you suggested and immediately I was back in business. THANK YOU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.