[SOLVED] If u have a 144 hz would locking fps at 144 help with screen tearing

Aug 20, 2019
So im probbably going to buy some 144 hz monitor but without freesync/g-sync because its too expensive and not a lot of monitors are available in my country or ship here so i was probbably going to buy benq zowie xl2411p or asus vg248qe, paired with a gtx 1070 ti it should be more than enoough to get 144 fps and i will be playing at low settings i saw on reviews it can get easy 200+ fps but i have heard a lot about screen tearing so would it locking fps on 144 reduce screen tearing or remove it? I don't wanna use v sync because it creates input lag or will screen tearing even affect me when playing competitive like CS:GO/fortnite/overwatch and stuff like that

Solution
G-Sync and FreeSync also create input lag, though less. Locking your frame rate won't help, that doesn't tell the monitor when to begin drawing a frame. It also won't be consistent in producing said frames.

V-sync or tearing, those are the choices. You can play with settings such that the tears don't often land in the center of the screen where they are most noticeable, but that takes a lot of time. Basically playing with settings until the average frame rate produces an acceptable result.

And the worst part. If you are looking for tearing, you will see it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
G-Sync and FreeSync also create input lag, though less. Locking your frame rate won't help, that doesn't tell the monitor when to begin drawing a frame. It also won't be consistent in producing said frames.

V-sync or tearing, those are the choices. You can play with settings such that the tears don't often land in the center of the screen where they are most noticeable, but that takes a lot of time. Basically playing with settings until the average frame rate produces an acceptable result.

And the worst part. If you are looking for tearing, you will see it.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't say scary, just what everyone put up with until the introduction of decent LCD panels. CRTs were common and early SLI/Crossfire made it much worse. But the goals back then, and to some extent, still are frame rates. Most pro gamers do not use any syncing and just let the tearing happen. To them it is about getting that slight millisecond advantage.

When I talk about adjusting the settings, it is just a matter of playing a game and making changes as you go along. The idea is to avoid ratios of frames to refresh rates that avoid putting the distinction between frames where it is readily apparent. Some games this is unavoidable due to design features, lots of vertical lines on the screen or regular patterns make it more obvious.