If we use toothpaste instead of grease......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

svol

Champion
Butter is used as isolator in our body, it's heatconducting ability is almost nothing, the book don't says anything about glycol, is there another name for it?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
why a melted one...you mean like melt it onto the cpu itself?
there are people who take a silver coin, and completely flatten it, by sanding off the stuff that is imprinted on it, and then lapping the surface, then putting that inbetween the heatsink and the core...that seems to work...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

svol

Champion
Silver is the best in conducting heat so that will be the best choise.
If you use melted then it will fill all microscopic bumps and holes, and will so conduct heat very efficient.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, but arctic silver is like 97% silver, and if you did that and used a lapped piece of silver, then that would be safer than using melted silver.

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
but melted silver is pretty warm...like pretty much hot...too hot to touch, and might be over AMD's limit for the core...but i dont know...

what is the melting point of silver?

-DAvid

svol

Champion
The meltingpoint of silver is 1235 K which is 962 C, a little to high I think :smile: . Then is Arctic Silver much better, and melted silver just not an option.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hey man, no rush, if it works, then awesome...
the only thing i can see wrong with doing this on an athlon is the stress on the core...attatching stuff permanently to the core seems like it woult be dangerous...like if you have to take the cpu out, it might take the core off...just snap it off the ceramic or organic (depending on whether you are using a thunderbird, or an xp) casing, and you would have a silver plate or heatsink fused to a useless core.
however, if you figure it out, and figure it out pretty good, it might be a good way to mount heatsinks to ram chips and so forth...and it would assure no interference in heat transfer from the chip to the heatsink...
and hey, if you made the heatsink out of silver, like make it out of a silver coin or something...
might work...
i wish i had done stuff like fusing silver to something in chemistry...hehe

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
If it works, you need to obtain a patent before you tell us how!

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
damn, i was hoping to get it out of him!
heheheheheheeh
dude....he could make a kit, and sell it!
it would be great!
here is a commercial...but this is trademarked, or copywrited...or whatever...you get the idea.. so if you want to use it, your gon have ta pay me....AHYUK!
"Ever wanted to <i>REALLY</i> get those heatsinks mounted on those <font color=red><i>burnin</i>]/red] chips? well, then here is your TOTAL SOLUTION! "[bold]INSERT PRODUCT NAME HERE[/bold]" it will affix heatsinks, repair chipped teeth, slice, dice, and make <i>julienne</i> fries!"

hehehee
and you have to get one of those ridiculously annoying infomircial guys....like that one with no shoulders...the buck teeth, and the suspenders...anyone know who i am talking about?

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
re:"<font color=red>like that one with no shoulders...the buck teeth, and the suspenders...anyone know who i am talking about?</font color=red>"

I see you know my uncle.

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
nice sig...
here is something funny about cars like that.......
<A HREF="http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/taurus/" target="_new">Taurus SHO-R</A>
hehehe
i was rolling when i read this thing!
credit to my little brother for finding this article!

-DAvid