[SOLVED] I'm building a new PC and i believe i bought a bad PSU. What can i do?

Mar 17, 2020
Recently i bought a Kolink KL-700M. It seemed pretty cheap(around 60 bucks), and since i needed it for a 1660S i bought it in a hurry, not digging deep enough. Now, looking around i realize its a bit of a no name brand, and that many users advise against it(And many others for it, weird stuff)

Do you reckon the above mentioned PSU could run this build safely?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t3HsV7

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600KF 3.7 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($230.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($47.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 UD ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($126.33 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($81.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.23 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF Gaming X3 OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $745.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-17 01:04 EDT-0400

Solution
No, it cannot. Return it if you can. If you can't, throw it in the trash. If you can't bear to throw it in the trash then maybe keep it around for testing or use it on some VERY light duty system, if you absolutely have to. I wouldn't, but it's not my unit either.

I agree with the full assessment here, and would have told you the same thing whether or not I knew that thread existed or not.

You would be wise to make every effort to get something listed as worthwhile on my recommendations page:

Any GOOD quality 450w unit would be...
No, it cannot. Return it if you can. If you can't, throw it in the trash. If you can't bear to throw it in the trash then maybe keep it around for testing or use it on some VERY light duty system, if you absolutely have to. I wouldn't, but it's not my unit either.

I agree with the full assessment here, and would have told you the same thing whether or not I knew that thread existed or not.

You would be wise to make every effort to get something listed as worthwhile on my recommendations page:

Any GOOD quality 450w unit would be enough for that 1660 super but a GOOD 550w unit would be a much better option. That Kolink unit, probably can't even support 450w no matter what the label says.

Solution
Mar 17, 2020

Any GOOD quality 450w unit would be enough for that 1660 super but a GOOD 550w unit would be a much better option. That Kolink unit, probably can't even support 450w no matter what the label says.

Thanks for the reply, however i have another question: Is it safe to use the kolink psu until i buy a new psu to replace it or should i not even bother?

IDK man, this is the best review I can find of ANY Kolink unit, from a legitimately reputable, competent PSU reviewer, and this score, while I agree doesn't put this unit in the fire bomb category, also wouldn't seem to earn the brand any "pretty good" patches to slap on their leathers either.

I'd say they have some units that are ok-is, and then a bunch of crap. Unless you've seen something contrary to that which I've not seen, not counting that Kit Guru review because I have little faith in their PSU reviews.

TRENDING THREADS