[SOLVED] Im buying a new ssd

Jun 6, 2019
I am buying a samsung evo 860 250gb and atm i have a hard drive with all my files and windows on it. When i get the ssd do i need to unistall windows on the hdd and re install onto the ssd? Or will that corrupt the files on the hdd. Or can i just move it to the ssd from the hdd.

Solution
If using a desktop with available SATA ports/cables, Samsung's included migration software normally works fine...

You can resort to fresh install if that fails...(the times I've used it , it worked well)

(Get a good backup image of your existing C: drive before getting started using Macrium Reflect, Clonezilla, Acronis True Image, etc.....

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Best practice is to simply clean install Windows onto the new SSD with the old HDD disconnected from the system.
If it requires reactivating, you can actually just contact Microsoft support and they will reactivate it for you.

You can then plug the HDD back in and access it normally, although software/games may need to be reinstalled.

You can clone the HDD directly over to the SSD, but this can have complications.

USAFRet

Titan
I am buying a samsung evo 860 250gb and atm i have a hard drive with all my files and windows on it. When i get the ssd do i need to unistall windows on the hdd and re install onto the ssd? Or will that corrupt the files on the hdd. Or can i just move it to the ssd from the hdd.
What OS are you using?
How much space is consumed on your current C drive or partition?

If the sizes fit, cloning may be a option.
But you're probably looking at a full reinstall. We can walk through either procedure if you wish.

Reactions: PC Tailor
If using a desktop with available SATA ports/cables, Samsung's included migration software normally works fine...

You can resort to fresh install if that fails...(the times I've used it , it worked well)

(Get a good backup image of your existing C: drive before getting started using Macrium Reflect, Clonezilla, Acronis True Image, etc.....

Solution