[SOLVED] I'm having some problems with XMP on Ryzen

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
So here's the deal:

My CPU is a Ryzen 7 3700X (Stock, don't intend to OC)
Memory is a Ballistix Tactical 4x16GB (64GB) Kit at (supposedly) 3000MHz CL16 1.35v (with a Micron chip too if it matters)
Motherboard is a GIGABYTE X570 Gaming X r1.0 with latest BIOS (F4j)

My issue is, when I start my PC, I check my BIOS, it says XMP Profile 1 loaded and that it's at 3000MHz yada yada, however when I check both my motherboard app in windows 10 64-Bit (Gigabyte SIV (System Information Viewer)) and Ryzen Master App, both say that the RAM is at 1200MHz (2x1200MHz=2400MHz because it's DDR not DR).

My question is, what's going on for XMP to not apply? What's the solution and what can I help with fixing this

Solution
I fixed it, I did a clean install of windows, and tried all 3 levels of XMP, level 1 worked, jeez what a god damn adventure. Thank you kindly for everyone's help

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
What happens when you remove a (matched) pair of sticks? Might be the old AMD speed limitation when all 4 DIMM slots are populated.
I removed the pair of sticks from A1 and B1 slots, and then A2 and B2 slots (basically leaving a pair in dual channel always according to the mb manual), didn't do any difference sadly...

Is there something I can do? It really sucks paying a premium for this speed and not being able to use it :(

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Is that exact 4 stick RAM kit listed on the Memory Compatibility List for your motherboard?
If not then 2400 MHz may very well be the highest speed it will run at on your motherboard.

Why would it allow me to pick the XMP profile..?
and that it always saves it as being as XMP
(what I mean is, wouldn't it reset to default speed (2400MHz) if 3000MHz XMP Profile indeed failed..?)
I really want someone that knows stuff about ryzen and memory to help me please :(

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
It allows you to pick the XMP (DOCP) Profile because each stick supports those speeds.
And according to you they are running at 2400 MHz (1200 MHz x 2) so it is applying the default settings when it can't apply the XMP profile during POST.

What EXACT model # RAM kit do you have ???

Your MB does support some 4 stick kits at 3000 MHz which is why you need to answer my question.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-gaming-x_matisse.pdf

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
It allows you to pick the XMP (DOCP) Profile because each stick supports those speeds.
And according to you they are running at 2400 MHz (1200 MHz x 2) so it is applying the default settings when it can't apply the XMP profile during POST.

What EXACT model # RAM kit do you have ???

Your MB does support some 4 stick kits at 3000 MHz which is why you need to answer my question.
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-gaming-x_matisse.pdf

I'll do whatever I can to help fixing this, this is the Part Number: BLT16G4D30AETA.K16FB (taken directly from CPU-Z)
However Crucial does not present any record of these sticks anymore on their website, they don't even have Ballistix Tactical (they seem to only have Ballistix Tactical "Tracer")

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Have you tried setting the XMP profile (to set the timings and voltage) but then changing the frequency to 2666, 2800 or 2866?
You might have to increase the DRAM voltage to anywhere from 1.36 up to 1.39v to get it to work at higher than stock speed (2400 MHz).
While your specific RAM kit apparently won't run at 3000 MHz, it might be able to run at a slightly lower speed.
If you can get it to work at any of those lower speeds you won't be able to tell much difference in performance than what you would get at 3000 MHz.

Last edited:

devilgodspider

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Have you tried setting the XMP profile (to set the timings and voltage) but then changing the frequency to 2666, 2800 or 2866?
While your specific RAM kit apparently won't run at 3000 MHz, it might be able to run at a slightly lower speed.
If you can get it to work at any of those lower speeds you won't be able to tell much difference in performance than what you would get at 3000 MHz.
Is there anyway I can perhaps make it 3000MHz but with higher CAS/other timings, this is what I wanted to do, but for some reason I can't get deep info because Thaiphoon refuses to open... Is there another program that does this?

Here's the complete "plan":
get every info I can get from the RAM->use Ryzen DDR4 calculator->apply->profit

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You could increase the DRAM voltage .1 v at a time and increase the base Timings by 1 or 2 each (for example from 15-17-17-17 to 16-18-18-18) and see if it works at 3000 MHz.
I have seen posts where people increased the Frequency step by step (2666 to 2800 to 2866 to 2933, etc.) until they get to the rated speed of the RAM and it worked for them.

Last edited: