[SOLVED] I'm hoping that around late-mid 2020 I can build my first PC, is it easy to fail?

h0pT0 Gaming

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
Background information:
I having been wanting to build a PC for over a year now and I'm the type of person who researches a lot before doing something like this. I know surprisingly a lot about PCs saying that I've never built one. I know the steps that I need to take to build it, but because I've never done it before I'm scared that something will go wrong: It not turn on (and not know why), maybe damage a part (although I'm not too worried about that) or I might fail in some other way.

Although I know a good amount about computers, I don't have experience of building meaning I can't troubleshoot and I don't know the small do's and don'ts, obviously I know to be careful with handling the CPU (the pins) and not throwing things around like they're toys, but I don't know things that can affect the build such as make sure I do things before others (I can't come up with an example because I really know any).

If you can, please help me with:
  • Things I should know when building a PC
  • Things I don't need to be too worried about
  • Things which seem hard but aren't
  • Other things that you may deem necessary to have or know
Thanks.

Solution
Good questions.

1) Don't force anything, if it isn't fitting, take a moment and look at the problem. Don't overtighten anything. If using a full size screwdriver, use the tips of your fingers, don't grip the whole driver and turn it. Or use a precision set of screw drivers. Not trying to build a bridge, just hold components in the case.
AIO coolers, it is very easy to drive screws into the radiator when mounting to the chassis or the fans to the radiator. Double check the screw lengths and watch the end of the screw.
When applying coolers, never tighten a single screw all the way. Get all of them started, then slowly bring each screw down in steps until tight.
Don't touch gold contacts, if you do, clean with isopropyl alcohol. Pick up...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Good questions.

1) Don't force anything, if it isn't fitting, take a moment and look at the problem. Don't overtighten anything. If using a full size screwdriver, use the tips of your fingers, don't grip the whole driver and turn it. Or use a precision set of screw drivers. Not trying to build a bridge, just hold components in the case.
AIO coolers, it is very easy to drive screws into the radiator when mounting to the chassis or the fans to the radiator. Double check the screw lengths and watch the end of the screw.
When applying coolers, never tighten a single screw all the way. Get all of them started, then slowly bring each screw down in steps until tight.
Don't touch gold contacts, if you do, clean with isopropyl alcohol. Pick up cards by their edges.

2) ESD (Electro Static Discharge), Shocking the PC. It is a concern, but there are simple precautions to take. When picking up components pick them up by the edges while touching the chassis. This should join the two ground planes through you. You can use an ESD strap, but I find them to be more cumbersome then anything else. Easy to get tangled up and drop something.
Cable management. It makes for a nice looking system and makes it easier to clean, but it isn't super important. So if you have to take shortcuts, it is okay. Just try to route things behind the motherboard when possible, that will get you most of the way there.

3) Maybe driver installation or BIOS updates? "Only update the BIOS when you have to" is a common phrase, but not a bad idea when first building. Get it started as up to date as possible.

4) When installing your CPU, just double check, even if you think you know the process and how to orient it.
In regards to cable management, cable training can help bend or overbend the cables where you want them to go, that way their relaxed state is roughly what you want. Makes them easier to plug in.

If you end up with excessive GPU sag, loosen the screws holding the motherboard on try and rotate the motherboard a little bit in the opposite direction of the sag. Shouldn't be noticeable, but can change the angle of the GPU by quite a bit. There are also other methods for combating it such as forcing a screw through the backplate and chassis, a little damaging, but it can really help to hold it straight. Jayztwocents has a decent video showing this method.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Background information:
I having been wanting to build a PC for over a year now and I'm the type of person who researches a lot before doing something like this. I know surprisingly a lot about PCs saying that I've never built one. I know the steps that I need to take to build it, but because I've never done it before I'm scared that something will go wrong: It not turn on (and not know why), maybe damage a part (although I'm not too worried about that) or I might fail in some other way.

Although I know a good amount about computers, I don't have experience of building meaning I can't troubleshoot and I don't know the small do's and don'ts, obviously I know to be careful with handling the CPU (the pins) and not throwing things around like they're toys, but I don't know things that can affect the build such as make sure I do things before others (I can't come up with an example because I really know any).

Thanks.
To answer your title question, "Is it easy to fail?" Depends on your definition of "fail". Is it easy to spend money on things that don't improve your performance? YES. Is it easy to buy incompatible parts? Somewhat. Sites like pcpartpicker.com can remove most of those issues. Is it easy to mess up assembly? Yes. But there are lots of videos and articles on assembling your PC. Don't be impatient. There are lots of threads about people wanting to "test" their CPU but they don't have RAM or a graphics card. Get ALL the pieces before starting. The only delicate part is installing the CPU in the socket. Practice reasonable ESD precautions. READ THE USERS MANUAL FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD -- COVER TO COVER. Buy a legitimate license for your OS. That $100 needs to be factored into your total budget. Don't cut costs on your power supply. Buy a well reviewed name brand. Don't get obsessed with "bling" LED lights might be attractive but they can be a hassle and don't improve your performance.

Dan98

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
Is there a good video or written tutorial on doing this that anyone knows of? I've just ordered my parts, and will be putting it all together when everything arrives in a week or so. I did it once before following some random youtube video, but I really don't know what I'm doing so would love to have step-by-step instructions. I've searched via google and found some, but having little experience it's hard to know which ones are worthwhile, and which ones are useless.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Background information:

Thanks.
If you're that concerned with your skills that you might break a brand spanking new PC, have you given any thought to purchasing a cheap expendable PC that you can take apart and reassemble to familiarize yourself with the process?

Dan98

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
I'm not overly concerned that I'll screw it up - I've done it before (I'm not the original poster - just piggy backed on to his topic). I can follow directions well, I just want the directions.

h0pT0 Gaming

Commendable
Jul 20, 2019
If you're that concerned with your skills that you might break a brand spanking new PC, have you given any thought to purchasing a cheap expendable PC that you can take apart and reassemble to familiarize yourself with the process?

I know doing that is an option, but I just want to have the feel of building my own with the added extra of saving money.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
I know doing that is an option, but I just want to have the feel of building my own with the added extra of saving money.
Then you have to come to terms that something can go wrong if you're not prepared, even after building several computers I still get nervous that my dumb-@$$ is going to accidentally short the board, bend my pins, break components etc.

It hasn't happened, but I acknowledge the risks and try to be sensible about it. just watch some videos of builds you'll get an idea of what to do.