[SOLVED] Im upgrading some parts and I have some questions

dezj9280

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Hi,

I will be upgrading my CPU from the i5 8400 because I bought an RTX 3060 and this is how my system will look like

i7 9700k
RTX 3060
Cooler Master Hyper 212
MSI Z390 A PRO
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (2 sticks)
EVGA 600B PSU

I have a Cooler Master case with good airflow, two hard drives and my m.2, I have a couple of questions

Is my CPU cooler enough for the 9700k? What are some real safe temps?
Should I upgrade my PSU as well? Ive heard that EVGA is a top tier brand but Ive also heard that some of their models are faulty and since the 3060 is a power hungry GPU I want to be safe
And, should I really upgrade to the 9700k or is there a better option to prevent any bottleneck with my GPU? My motherboard is compatible with 8th and 9th gen CPUs and I really dont want to buy another one

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
The strongest processor your motherboard can support is a i9-9900K with 16 threads.
If just for gaming, the 8 threads of your 9700K should be just as effective. The single thread performance is similar.
Few games can effectively use more than 4-6 threads.
Multiplayer is an exception if there are many participants.

Hyper 212 will run ok, but not if the cpu is stressed.
For that, you would be better served with at least a Noctua NH-U14 or better.
Here is the noctua suitability chart for the 9700K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-411

Note that the hyper 212 is not quite as effective as the nh-u12s on the chart.

EVGA makes some good units and some not so good. It depends on exactly what you have.
Your psu may...
The strongest processor your motherboard can support is a i9-9900K with 16 threads.
If just for gaming, the 8 threads of your 9700K should be just as effective. The single thread performance is similar.
Few games can effectively use more than 4-6 threads.
Multiplayer is an exception if there are many participants.

Hyper 212 will run ok, but not if the cpu is stressed.
For that, you would be better served with at least a Noctua NH-U14 or better.
Here is the noctua suitability chart for the 9700K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-411

Note that the hyper 212 is not quite as effective as the nh-u12s on the chart.

EVGA makes some good units and some not so good. It depends on exactly what you have.
Your psu may be ok so long as your 3060 is not a factory overclocked version that needs more than an 8 pin connector for power.

If you are inclined to buy a new psu, look for a quality unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
This time of year, Seasonic seems to have sales.
Here is a seasonic platinum 750w unit with a 10 year warranty for $80:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-foc...r-750px-750w/p/N82E16817151191?quicklink=true
You could consider 850w. A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
Modern graphics cards can have temporary power spike needs beyond the nominal psu capacity.
A quality unit will have some reserve.

Reactions: dezj9280 and Why_Me
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's definitely not one of the good EVGA PSUs. The caps aren't bad (though some of them are 85 degrees, but at least they're Teapos), but it's a real costed-down hec-made unit. Group-regulated and not a particular robust group-regulated one at that, so it really shouldn't have been used on modern equipment if you had a discrete GPU before this. I'd certainly not use a 3060 on it.