In Pictures: 20 Of Our Favorite PC Game Mods

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
How could you guys forget about Point of Existence 2 for Battlefield 2? There's also a lot of other great mods like Forgotten Hope 2, Project Reality.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
As many others pointed out - an FPS modfest... (the odd exception for GTA notwithstanding, I hate that game anyway)

Anyway, for variety's sake I'll list my own favorite mods: Rhye's of Civilization for Civilization 3 and Rhye's and Fall of Civilization for Civilization 4. The latter was even included in the Beyond the Sword expansion pack.

G

No Defense Of The Ancient for Warcraft III eh? Too many fps in this list and some of them i've never heard of.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I agree, way too many shooters on the list. I'm sure mods from other genres could replace at least half of the mods on this list. Off the top of my head, I'd include the WW2 Recon mod for Myth II. It became as popular as the core multiplayer and remained popular for at least 7 years and spawned countless imitators. In fact, I'd say it was THE original WW2 game of the long line of WW2-inspired games that have been released over the past decade. It was simple yet complex and had multiple versatile gametypes.

spikey_monkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]knightmike[/nom]DoD sucks. The recoil is absurd. Have fun picking up your mouse and pulling it down over and over and over...[/citation]
Spray'n'Pray :D

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I really enjoyed the mods to Star Trek Bridge Commander. This modding community is active to this day. Some of the best mods made improve every aspect of the original. Just look at fileshack and see what's available: ships, music, sound effects, bridges, damage models, atmoshere (space/planets/stars/nebulas,etc), gameplay mechanisms. Age of Empires/Mythology also had some great user mods/maps. Any game with polish has free tools to create mods.

G

No offense but this list is so Quake and Half-Life biased, it isn't even funny. I really expected much more. For example, Stalker wasn't even remotely playable as a game until a certain MOD made it a super game. Oblivion has a series of MODs dedicated to creating fantastic and beautiful areas, and this isn't even mentioning the tons of creatures and weapons. A number of RTS games have excellent mods, and nary a mention here. Really the author should rename the article to Best Quake mods of all time. In fact, I think over 80% of the mods are well over 10 years old to boot, which is kind of telling.

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Look at the page URL: "20 gaming mod quake half-life". I think it's fairly obvious it's NOTHING but Quake and Half-Life. Oh, with a single GTA mod as a combo breaker.

There are other moddable games out there, you know guys?

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
i couldnt make it trough the list...just fps??...it gets tedious after awhile..and i've only played a couple of those mods so not enough to keep me going

wanderlustx2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I think they should do a FPS mod and a non-FPS list. :) I'm about 95% FPS and know that the mod community is probably the strongest with them (before all the companies decided to stop it recently.)but it'd be nice to see them separated for all. :)

wanderlustx2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I think they should do a FPS mod and a non-FPS list. :) I'm about 95% FPS and know that the mod community is probably the strongest with them (before all the companies decided to stop it recently.)but it'd be nice to see them separated for all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.