Question Inexplicable Crashes / CMOS Reset

Dec 3, 2020
Hello,

I built my first PC about two years ago and when it's running, it's fantastic. I have had though, since the build, a lot of crashes during gaming sessions, specifically driving sims. They are my main interest in gaming so I'd love to get to the bottom of it. There aren't many symptoms at all besides the occasional "locked audio" when everything else is completely offline. I'll hear a frozen engine sound or tire scrubbing but my monitor is reading "no signal source." Upon restart I'll get five beeps every time, take out the GPU and reset CMOS. Up and running. I've described it to the few folks I know that might know and they have zero idea about it so I figured I'd give these forums a go. I am *very new to all of this so I'm also really not sure where to look for reports, diagnostics etc. I am taking a wild stab that it is GPU related as those programs are obv very graphics heavy. Actually starting to get concerned about wearing out certain connections with the number of times I've had to perform the reset. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance o/

Ryzen 5 2600
Radeon RX 580
ASRock B450M Pro4
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Which BISO version are you currently on and what OS version are you on for your platform? Rams used in your build? Your thread title states CMOS reset, does the time and date on your motherboard need to be inserted after every mishap with your system(games freezing)?

Reactions: skylitedatum
Dec 3, 2020
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Which BISO version are you currently on and what OS version are you on for your platform? Rams used in your build? Your thread title states CMOS reset, does the time and date on your motherboard need to be inserted after every mishap with your system(games freezing)?

Thanks very much for your immediate reply. Had to go to work sorry.

PSU: Seasonic Model SSR-550 RM Active PFC F3 (G-550) Two years old..
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8gb X2
BIOS version and date: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60, 11/5/2018 mode: Legacy

I have on some occasions needed to sync the time on Windows but nothing beyond that.

Thanks again..

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020
Hi again. After looking into the symptoms a bit more, it seemed like the issue was pointing towards power and saw on an iRacing forum they recommended a 600 watt PSU. I purchased a 750 watt Seasonic and was able to run a more demanding racing sim for about four days straight without a crash until yesterday. I can only speculate that with the increased power and longer performance without a crash, it was related to the PSU but not entirely. My understanding is that this should be ample wattage.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Specs below including updated PSU:

Ryzen 5 2600
Radeon RX 580
ASRock B450M Pro4
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8gb X2
BIOS version and date: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60, 11/5/2018 mode: Legacy