moodster

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

I just installed HP Home Edition from and OEM CD to another computer in my
home to replace Windows 98. Now when I go to the start up menu it reads
(empty).

Do I have to purchase an entire new soft ware package for the other
computers in my home or did I do something incorrectly during the
installation?

kelly

What do you mean it's empty? And was it just an operating system CD or a
recovery CD? You just wiped out 98 so nothing would be left from that. What
exactly are you looking for?

"Moodster" wrote:

> I just installed HP Home Edition from and OEM CD to another computer in my
> home to replace Windows 98. Now when I go to the start up menu it reads
> (empty).
>
> Do I have to purchase an entire new soft ware package for the other
> computers in my home or did I do something incorrectly during the
> installation?

moodster

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

It literally says (empty) when I do the following.....Start>ALL
PROGRAMS>Startup. I'm actually looking for the MS OFFICE stuff like MS WORD,
EXCEL, etc....

Thanks for your help Kelly!

Scott

In news:C2A0DB01-0C7A-4962-9E87-787390A1A748@microsoft.com,
Moodster <Moodster@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> It literally says (empty) when I do the following.....Start>ALL
> PROGRAMS>Startup. I'm actually looking for the MS OFFICE stuff
> like
> MS WORD, EXCEL, etc....

You say below that you installed Windows XP Home, and now you say
you can't find Office. Did you also install Office?

If you thought that Office was part of Windows, sorry to tell you
that it's not. It's a completely separate product.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean it's empty? And was it just an operating
>> system CD
>> or a recovery CD? You just wiped out 98 so nothing would be
>> left
>> from that. What exactly are you looking for?
>>

>> "Moodster" wrote:
>>
>>> I just installed HP Home Edition from and OEM CD to another
>>> computer in my home to replace Windows 98. Now when I go to
>>> the
>>> start up menu it reads (empty).
>>>
>>> Do I have to purchase an entire new soft ware package for the
>>> other
>>> computers in my home or did I do something incorrectly during
>>> the
>>> installation?

moodster

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

That must be the problem.........I figured it would be part of it.

Thanks

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:C2A0DB01-0C7A-4962-9E87-787390A1A748@microsoft.com,
> Moodster <Moodster@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > It literally says (empty) when I do the following.....Start>ALL
> > PROGRAMS>Startup. I'm actually looking for the MS OFFICE stuff
> > like
> > MS WORD, EXCEL, etc....
>

> You say below that you installed Windows XP Home, and now you say
> you can't find Office. Did you also install Office?
>
> If you thought that Office was part of Windows, sorry to tell you
> that it's not. It's a completely separate product.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > "Kelly" wrote:
> >
> >> What do you mean it's empty? And was it just an operating
> >> system CD
> >> or a recovery CD? You just wiped out 98 so nothing would be
> >> left
> >> from that. What exactly are you looking for?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

> In news:C2A0DB01-0C7A-4962-9E87-787390A1A748@microsoft.com,
> Moodster <Moodster@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> It literally says (empty) when I do the following.....Start>ALL
>> PROGRAMS>Startup. I'm actually looking for the MS OFFICE stuff like
>> MS WORD, EXCEL, etc....
>
> You say below that you installed Windows XP Home, and now you say you
> can't find Office. Did you also install Office?
>
> If you thought that Office was part of Windows, sorry to tell you that
> it's not. It's a completely separate product.
>
>> "Kelly" wrote:
>>
>>> What do you mean it's empty? And was it just an operating system CD
>>> or a recovery CD? You just wiped out 98 so nothing would be left
>>> from that. What exactly are you looking for?

The OP already pirated a copy of his OEM version of Windows to install
it on another computer. Expect problems during activation since two
copies now exist on different computers. Sounds like the OP also wants
to steal MS Office XP and hoped it was included in Windows XP. That, or
the OP didn't realize that an OEM version does a *full* install and NOT
an upgrade (full versions do upgrades, OEMs do not), so the OP will have
to do fresh installs of all his software, and hopefully he saved his
data files. Since the OEM install does a *full* install (i.e., the
partition gets wiped), the OP will have to start digging for the
installation media for MS Office.

Did you do an upgrade o r did you boot off the cd and do a fresh install?

Are all you files and programs etc etc etc gone as well?

If you did a clean install and wiped the drive they are gone my friend.
"Moodster" <Moodster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed HP Home Edition from and OEM CD to another computer in my
> home to replace Windows 98. Now when I go to the start up menu it reads
> (empty).
>
> Do I have to purchase an entire new soft ware package for the other
> computers in my home or did I do something incorrectly during the
> installation?

moodster

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

I did a fresh install and everything seemed to work out. I'm not looking for
individual files but for MS Word, EXCEL, etc.... (But yeah.....I did a clean
install with Windows 2000 and learned the hard way about the file loss.)

Thanks Manny.

Scott

"Manny Borges" wrote:

> Did you do an upgrade o r did you boot off the cd and do a fresh install?
>
> Are all you files and programs etc etc etc gone as well?
>
> If you did a clean install and wiped the drive they are gone my friend.
> "Moodster" <Moodster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just installed HP Home Edition from and OEM CD to another computer in my
> > home to replace Windows 98. Now when I go to the start up menu it reads
> > (empty).
> >
> > Do I have to purchase an entire new soft ware package for the other
> > computers in my home or did I do something incorrectly during the
> > installation?

Yes you need another copy to install on another machine. Usually the OEM
will configure it's disk to install only on the machine it came with.

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What do you mean it's empty? And was it just an operating system CD or a
> recovery CD? You just wiped out 98 so nothing would be left from that.
> What
> exactly are you looking for?
>

> "Moodster" wrote:
>
>> I just installed HP Home Edition from and OEM CD to another computer in
>> my
>> home to replace Windows 98. Now when I go to the start up menu it reads
>> (empty).
>>
>> Do I have to purchase an entire new soft ware package for the other
>> computers in my home or did I do something incorrectly during the
>> installation?

moodster

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2004

Not what I wanted hear but thanks.........

Scott

"beb" wrote:

> Yes you need another copy to install on another machine. Usually the OEM
> will configure it's disk to install only on the machine it came with.
>
> "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What do you mean it's empty? And was it just an operating system CD or a
> > recovery CD? You just wiped out 98 so nothing would be left from that.
> > What
> > exactly are you looking for?
> >

> > "Moodster" wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed HP Home Edition from and OEM CD to another computer in
> >> my
> >> home to replace Windows 98. Now when I go to the start up menu it reads
> >> (empty).
> >>
> >> Do I have to purchase an entire new soft ware package for the other
> >> computers in my home or did I do something incorrectly during the
> >> installation?

TRENDING THREADS