Question Installed I-7 7700k and now PC turns itself off about a half after being powered on

Jul 30, 2021
Specs of computer:
Old CPU: I-5 (can't remember exact model)

New CPU: I-7 7700k

GPU: RTX 1070

PSU: 600w

RAM: 4gb DDR4 pair and single 8gb DDR4

I installed a new CPU last night and now PC will not stay powered on for more than about a half second. Whenever I put the old CPU back in it runs fine. I made sure that ram was seated properly and all connections were tight. I think my 600w PSU would be enough for new processer and heatsink, but it is also very old, maybe like 6 years or older. If it isn't the PSU could it be that the CPU is just dead out of the box? I got it at a store (Micro Center) so I could easily return it but I don't want to do that if it isn't the problem. Im at work right now so don't have all specs but any ideas on what could be wrong or how to troubleshoot would be really appreciated, thanks

Jul 30, 2021
Different generation CPUs require specific chipsets, even if using the same physical socket.
Ahhh.... I knew about chipsets but didn't know they could cause compatibility issues. Well I guess I'll have to check it out when I get home but that definitely sounds like it could be the problem. Thanks

Ahhh.... I knew about chipsets but didn't know they could cause compatibility issues. Well I guess I'll have to check it out when I get home but that definitely sounds like it could be the problem. Thanks

Which motherboard chipset do you have?

100 and 200 series mobos are compatible with 6th and 7th-gen Intel CPUs. (eg. H110, B150, Z270, etc.)
300 series mobos are compatible with 8th and 9th-gen Intel CPUs. (eg. B360, Z390, etc.)

Jul 30, 2021
Which motherboard chipset do you have?

100 and 200 series mobos are compatible with 6th and 7th-gen Intel CPUs. (eg. H110, B150, Z270, etc.)
300 series mobos are compatible with 8th and 9th-gen Intel CPUs. (eg. B360, Z390, etc.)

Sorry for late reply, my Mobo (MSI) is Z170 which I read is compatible from a few sites but I l might have to update BIOS. I updated to latest version since my version was from like 2016, and confirmed it by opening bios again to make sure it was all good but still no luck once installing i7 again. Also noticed that debug CPU led on motherboard lights up before PC turns off so it definitely seems like the problem. Is z170 actually compatible or am I mistaken?

Jul 30, 2021
LOL I'm such an idiot it's not 7700k it's 9700k. My brother got it as a gift for me and I totally misread box somehow lol. Holy <Mod Edit> I'm dumb well anyways thanks for advice guys at least I learned something. Was overdue for new Mobo anyways lol

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
LOL I'm such an idiot it's not 7700k it's 9700k. My brother got it as a gift for me and I totally misread box somehow lol. Holy <Mod Edit> I'm dumb well anyways thanks for advice guys at least I learned something. Was overdue for new Mobo anyways lol
You are not the first to make this mistake. A new, compatible motherboard will do the trick. Let us know how it works out.