Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
CPU: Intel i7-13700K LGA 1700 13th Gen
Ram: Trident Z5 DDR 5 2x16 gigs
PSU: Corsair RM850x ATX 850 watt
Motherboard MSI MAG Z790 Tomohawk Max Wifi
GPU: MSI Ventus 3x Plus 12GB GDDR6x Geforce RTX 3080
SSD: 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 1TB

I've had my system for a couple of years and wanted to upgrade the motherboard. I went from a Carbon Z690 to Tomohawk Z790. All the other hardware are the original parts from when I first put the system together. I boot it up after installing it and all seemed fine at first. After I installed some updates I noticed when I tried to open Geforce Experience to check for GPU driver updates it just went blank. Then I tried going into settings and the app would crash. Then my Firefox browser would crash when trying to open it. I assume this is a driver issue but if I can even get to windows updates it crashes in the middle of trying to download anything. I've gotten random BSOD's as well. I haven't had this issue before and am at a loss as what to try next. Any help would be appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
I've had my system for a couple of years and wanted to upgrade the motherboard. I went from a Carbon Z690 to Tomohawk Z790
You will need to reinstall the OS, if you merely migrated the older OS drive onto the build. Also, now would be a good idea to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Reactions: Pathomeon

Pathomeon

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
I've had my system for a couple of years and wanted to upgrade the motherboard. I went from a Carbon Z690 to Tomohawk Z790
You will need to reinstall the OS, if you merely migrated the older OS drive onto the build. Also, now would be a good idea to update the BIOS to the latest version.
Ok I was thinking that was probably the answer but wanted to get consensus. Thanks for the reply!

Pathomeon

Prominent
Jun 16, 2023
In an attempt to keep the system as is, load up safe mode and see if it works there. If it does you should try removing any of the old motherboard specific software and drivers you can.

Safest is to just reinstall from scratch though.
Ok I thought that was probably what I needed but wanted to make sure, thanks for the reply!

TRENDING THREADS