Question Installed New Ram now PC is Boot Looping! Plz Help!

UniClad

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
So my friend's dads gaming PC was only running on 8Gb of Ram which nowadays isn't a sustainable amount for modern day gaming. So i went to Canada Computers to pick up two 4gb sticks of the same exact ram . They had it in stock and when i went to the store the guy said that it was probably buried somewhere in the back and that instead I could use a different ram and it would work fine. Well... i got home installed the new sticks with the old ones and the PC now just boot loops. I then removed the new sticks and went back to the original 8gb setup and it still boot loops. So now I have absolutely no clue what to do, it doesn't even boot long enough to show the screen so I can't get into BIOS. I've also come to realize that the new ram and the old ram run on different latencies and timings.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H

Old Ram:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL)
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231426
1333 Timing - 9 Latency

New Ram: HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (HX316C10FK2/8)
https://www.newegg.ca/hyperx-8gb-24.../8&cm_re=HX316C10FK2/8-_-20-104-448-_-Product
1600 Timing - 10 Latency

Things I've done so far:
  • Took out old ram , put in just new ram
  • Put in new ram , took out old ram
  • Put in each stick individually
  • Unplugged power supply , graphics card and reseated
  • Took out CMOS battery and put it back in

(Also as stated earlier can't get into BIOS to adjust any times as its not booting to screen)

Clearly the guy at Canada computers absolutely screwed me over but any help or suggestions at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Any other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

The use of exact match, same thing, identical memory modules may increase your chances of memory working together over the use of random modules, but have no guarantee to work together.

Memory specifications are for the memory in the form it is sold and not for other combinations you feel like making.

UniClad

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Mixing ram is the issue here. You just learned that mixing isn’t a good idea
Well I kinda already knew mixing Ram wasnt a great idea , I came into the store with the exact model number and everything that I needed but the employee was essentially too lazy to find it in the back and guaranteed that the combination would work (dumb of me to even listen lol ) but unfortunately I'm stuck here so any suggestions on how to fix it would be very appreciated!

UniClad

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Any other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

The use of exact match, same thing, identical memory modules may increase your chances of memory working together over the use of random modules, but have no guarantee to work together.

Memory specifications are for the memory in the form it is sold and not for other combinations you feel like making.
Well I kinda already knew mixing Ram wasnt a great idea , I came into the store with the exact model number and everything that I needed but the employee was essentially too lazy to find it in the back and guaranteed that the combination would work (dumb of me to even listen lol ) but unfortunately I'm stuck here so any suggestions on how to fix it would be very appreciated!

D

Deleted member 14196

exact matching of speeds is IRRELEVANT. the actual electronics on it can differ from batch to batch. emory is only guaranteed to work together when sold as a kit (they know because they test them and pair them at the factory)

they guy who helped you was not only lazy, but also very ignorant. you can't trust monkeys in the pc stores, ever. they just want you to buy stuff.

Also, I am sorry to any smart monkeys out there, that was a bad slam against monkeys. please forgive me. Most Monkeys are probably smarter than most pc salesmen.