Question Installed Windows 10 in SSD and my old SSD won't boot

Jan 25, 2021
Hi, I'm having an issue with my SSD. In my computer I have a Samsung Evo 860 with windows 10 installed on it and a HDD just for backup with no OS installed. I bought a new SSD (same model than mine) and wanted to install windows 10 on it.

So I just disconnected the SATA cable and power cable from my old SSD, connected them to the new one, inatalled everything and it was working fine.

The problem is that after I reconnected the old SSD it won't boot. I tried booting from the new SSD to access the old one and worked perfectly (I backuped all the information by the way), but it still won't boot no matter the boot priority is OK. I tried changing almost every option on the BIOS without luck.

Also, when I changed the priority order to Windows Boot Manager first it will boot and recognise my user account but wouldn't let me sign in. Instead it would sign in a guest user account or something like that.

I'm out of ideas already so I would appreciate a lot if somebody has any other idea!

USAFRet

Titan
First of all, thanks for that fast answer! And about your answer I did not unplugged the HDD during Windows installation. I tried unplugging it after I realized the old SSD wasn't working (leaving only the old SSD plugged) but didn't work either...
Can you get the system back to original running condition?
If so, please post a screencap of the Disk Management window.

Jan 25, 2021
Can you get the system back to original running condition?
If so, please post a screencap of the Disk Management window.
Not to the original running condition. What I could do is run Windows in the new SSD and from there I can see the old SSD and HDD and access both of them without a problem...

USAFRet

Titan
The new one is working perfectly though. Don't know what happened to the old one as it wasn't plugged at the moment...
So...
SSD 1 - 860 EVO
SSD 2 - New 860 EVO
HDD

OS was installed on #1?
You then disconnected #1, connected #2, new OS install.

And now it fails to work on #1?

Please...a screencap of the Disk Management window, in whatever configuration actually runs.
Identify which drive is which.

Jan 25, 2021
So...
SSD 1 - 860 EVO
SSD 2 - New 860 EVO
HDD

OS was installed on #1?
You then disconnected #1, connected #2, new OS install.

And now it fails to work on #1?

Please...a screencap of the Disk Management window, in whatever configuration actually runs.
Identify which drive is which.
I'm not at home right now but I will try to clarify it.
SSD 1 - Old 860 Evo
SSD 2 - New 860 Evo
HDD
DVD drive
Originally I had Windows 10 running on SSD 1 and HDD with no OS (just data). I unplugged SSD 1, plugged SSD 2 in the same place, installed Windows 10 from a pendrive, tried it, everything OK. Then I unplugged SSD 2 (thought my job was done), plugged SSD 1 back again in the same place it was at start and now it won't boot. After this I tried booting from SSD 2 to access information on SSD 1 and could do it but I still can't boot from SSD 1 as before...