[SOLVED] Installing a SSD on my laptop, no SATA connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

VertUnix

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I have recently bought an ASUS Vivobook S15 (S530F) with 256GB of NVMe SSD, no optical unit. In need for more storage, I bought a 2.5'' SSD. Although there is enough physical space for it, (pic1 pic2) I can't figure out if I can buy a "hdd sata ribbon adapter". They are usually made for certain Dell or HP laptops and seem highly overpriced ($25).
As a curiosity, why don't manufacturers like ASUS install a proper SATA port since they still leave space for a small HDD/ SSD to be installed?

My question is, will I be able to connect this SSD using an adapter or the only (unpreffered) solution is to upgrade the NVMe?

Solution
You're going to need much more than just a cable. You need all of the mounting hardware for a 2.5" drive (bracket, screws, etc.). You'll only get that from ASUS.

VertUnix

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
You're going to need much more than just a cable. You need all of the mounting hardware for a 2.5" drive (bracket, screws, etc.). You'll only get that from ASUS.

I definitely will but first I need to make sure it can be connected at least.

Yeah, this seems to have the same 10-pin configuration. Is there any way to make sure it will work? I found this cheaper alternative that might work aswell.
Also, I still don't understand why ASUS doesn't provide original parts since their laptop users could need them.

I definitely will but first I need to make sure it can be connected at least.

Yeah, this seems to have the same 10-pin configuration. Is there any way to make sure it will work? I found this cheaper alternative that might work aswell.
Also, I still don't understand why ASUS doesn't provide original parts since their laptop users could need them.
Well for $4.00 you really can't go wrong, and it comes with cover and bracket. What's not to like?
Asus business model does not include repair parts. It's just their decision. I would take a guess that it is easier for them to just replace a bad parts. It would seem to me they do not want to encourage people to open up their products and make their own repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.