wobbleidz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
www.i-TNA.net
Hey there,

I have Debian 11 installed on a VM hosted on ProxMox. On the VM, I installed docker and dockerized Jellyfin. Everything works fine, except when I try to play movies that need transcoding. GPU is a Quadro P4000 which is passed through on the proxmox VM. The GPU is obviously not installed correctly but I don't know how to go about it.

Did anyone encounter this issue before? any tips?

Regards,

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
I don't know about ProxMox, but usually you need to install client drivers in the VM. For example in virtual box you need to install Virtual box guest drivers (which includes GPU drivers) in order to use the hardware acceleration. So in the VM you do not have to install the nvidia gpu drivers but just the Virtualbox drivers that include gpu driver... And virtualbox is tranlating the VirtualBox gpu calls to the native GPU on the host machine.

VB Guest Drivers in VM -> VirtualBox host machine with proper drivers installed -> Native GPU

gpu drivers that come from the company pretty much always contain stuff that isn't open source. so the default iso never includes them so they can maintain open source status. some will give you the option to install non-open source stuff during the installation using complex mental gymnastics to confuse the only open source crowd. idk if debian does. im sure you can find instructions on how to get them. just look for the same as installing on metal since you're using passthrough.

I don't know about ProxMox, but usually you need to install client drivers in the VM. For example in virtual box you need to install Virtual box guest drivers (which includes GPU drivers) in order to use the hardware acceleration. So in the VM you do not have to install the nvidia gpu drivers but just the Virtualbox drivers that include gpu driver... And virtualbox is tranlating the VirtualBox gpu calls to the native GPU on the host machine.

VB Guest Drivers in VM -> VirtualBox host machine with proper drivers installed -> Native GPU
it's passed through, also not virtualbox.