subhadeep_sd

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2015
Hello All,
Hope everyone is fine.
Tomorrow , I am going to get my SSD Crucial MX500 1tb 2280S model. Currently I own a Acer Helios G3-572 laptop and want to replace my current SSD of 128gb with that one.
Please let me know how to clone my C drive including OS, applications and settings (I have a 1tb internal and 1 TB external .. but cannot format any of those) and restore that clone after the installation of the new SSD. I have only minitool partition wizard software. Let me know if any other free softwares are good for this task.

Also , I have seen few videos for installation , found out that some videos are showing I have to remove the memory modules and in some videos it was still in it's place. A good guide for installation would be helpful also.

Thank you

Solution
In a cse like this, you do it with an Image, not a clone.

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:
NOTE - This will not format your external. It just needs 150GB blank space. The Image ends up as a single file, that you can delete later. You also need a small blank flash drive to boot from.

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created...

USAFRet

Titan
In a cse like this, you do it with an Image, not a clone.

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:
NOTE - This will not format your external. It just needs 150GB blank space. The Image ends up as a single file, that you can delete later. You also need a small blank flash drive to boot from.

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Solution

subhadeep_sd

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2015