[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10 on same disk as XP for dual boot?

bhuether1

Honorable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi, I have WinXP already installed on a disk and want to add Win 10 in a dual boot configuration.

Most of what I have been reading suggests that Win10 is alrady installed and then go on to describe setting up XP as 2nd system.

So I am doing the opposite.

My motherboard is an Asus P5K, non UEFI. So far I have created a win10 install USB drive with MBR, NTFS using the Rufus program. This was the only option once I chose the non UEFI option in Rufus.

My XP disk has one partition, so I am resizing it as described in various tutorials (I am using IM Magic Partition Resizer). Haven't done it yet, but plan on resizing so that I have a large second partition that I can use for Win10.

So can someone explain the subsequent steps? Should I format the Win10 partition with same filesystem as XP? Does it matter? Or will Win10 install using same formatting that is on the USB (NTFS)?

So that I am actually presented with a dual boot selection at system startup, is there anything else I need to do? Or is it really as simple as 1) create 2nd partition on my disk), 2) format new partition, 3) reboot to USB, 4) let Win10 installer run, 5) choose partiton for install? 6) reboot to disk and choose windows?

Thanksk

Brian

Solution
installing win 10 on a PC that also runs XP is never going to be easy, both os born 15 years apart. Only way it can work in on a P5k which is about mid point between them. Closer to XP than WIn 10 but not improbable.

So it ran installer but only shows XP? wonder how that works...

curious what drive looks like. might need to use cmd to look, Diskpart seems to work (might get you show screenshots of what you find - upload them to a file sharing website and show here)
open cmd with admin rights
type diskpart and press enter
type list vol - this shows all the partitions, might not help

list disk just shows all drives in PC
if you type select disk 0 & then type list part it shows all the partitions on...

bhuether1

Honorable
Feb 9, 2015
I doubt XP and 10 would work very well together. Have you considered setting up a virtual machine to run XP instead? If the computer is capable of running W10, it certainly should have no issues running a virtual machine with XP.

The thing is I have hardware on my computer that only works with XP, such as a digital signal processing card for audio processing that I used on some older audio projects, as well as a fairly high end audio card. The manufactuers stopped supporting the hardware after XP. As well as programs that only run on XP and a couple versions higher. So I just need XP for times when I will work on audio projects that I have for XP.

As far as the unsupported hardware, no idea how that will behave with Windows 10 but maybe there is a way to set up Windows 10 boot to ignore certain hardware.

thanks, Brian

You have to remove this hardware.

You have to know this: It is business. The manufactor of the audio card doesn't make money to support some way old hardware.

Maybe - but only maybe (to be honest . probably not) you make it work with Linux, but if it is some professional kind of card chance is that it is rare on the marked, even the time you bought it.

That said : XP is totally safe as long you have no connection to internet whatsoever, so you can use it - as a typewriter or wall brick.

bhuether1

Honorable
Feb 9, 2015
You have to remove this hardware.

You have to know this: It is business. The manufactor of the audio card doesn't make money to support some way old hardware.

Maybe - but only maybe (to be honest . probably not) you make it work with Linux, but if it is some professional kind of card chance is that it is rare on the marked, even the time you bought it.

That said : XP is totally safe as long you have no connection to internet whatsoever, so you can use it - as a typewriter or wall brick.
Maybe I will remove them...

As far as BIOS, I notice various APIC and ACPI settings. Do those have to be a certain way for WIndows 10?

Colif

Win 11 Master
installing win 10 on a PC that also runs XP is never going to be easy, both os born 15 years apart. Only way it can work in on a P5k which is about mid point between them. Closer to XP than WIn 10 but not improbable.

So it ran installer but only shows XP? wonder how that works...

curious what drive looks like. might need to use cmd to look, Diskpart seems to work (might get you show screenshots of what you find - upload them to a file sharing website and show here)
open cmd with admin rights
type diskpart and press enter
type list vol - this shows all the partitions, might not help

list disk just shows all drives in PC
if you type select disk 0 & then type list part it shows all the partitions on that drive.

probably same results as List vol

not sure if any of that gets us any closer as to why win 10 isn't showing as an option in the boot menus

Is it XP Pro as you could see what Disk management is showing - https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/windows-xp-professional/059600348X/ch16s05.html

Solution