After trying to install XP pro, and the system rebooting, I am now getting
the following message: "couldn't open drive multi(0), disk(0),
rdisk(0)partition(1)
NTLDR:couldn't open drive multi(0), disk(0), rdisk(0),
partition(1)

I have no clue what to do.........any thoughts please? Thanks.

Are you trying to upgrade an older version of Windows?

-or-

Are you trying to reinstall your current version of Windows? If so - are you
trying to reinstall Windows over itself or are you trying to do a 'clean
install' where you erase your hard disk and start from scratch?
--
Ted Zieglar

"winexprochallenged" <winexprochallenged@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1DAA1E03-B6B6-4624-B892-5CA5B6032AAC@microsoft.com...
> After trying to install XP pro, and the system rebooting, I am now getting
> the following message: "couldn't open drive multi(0), disk(0),
> rdisk(0)partition(1)
> NTLDR:couldn't open drive multi(0), disk(0),
rdisk(0),
> partition(1)
>
> I have no clue what to do.........any thoughts please? Thanks.

Oops, sorry.........I was trying to do a clean sweep, then upgrade from ME to
XP.
Thanks.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Are you trying to upgrade an older version of Windows?
>
> -or-
>
> Are you trying to reinstall your current version of Windows? If so - are you
> trying to reinstall Windows over itself or are you trying to do a 'clean
> install' where you erase your hard disk and start from scratch?
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "winexprochallenged" <winexprochallenged@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:1DAA1E03-B6B6-4624-B892-5CA5B6032AAC@microsoft.com...
> > After trying to install XP pro, and the system rebooting, I am now getting
> > the following message: "couldn't open drive multi(0), disk(0),
> > rdisk(0)partition(1)
> > NTLDR:couldn't open drive multi(0), disk(0),
> rdisk(0),
> > partition(1)
> >
> > I have no clue what to do.........any thoughts please? Thanks.

If a "clean sweep" means that you completely erase your hard disk and
reinstall all your software from scratch, you don't install ME first. You
install from the Windows XP CD and have your Windows ME CD handy to prove
that you qualify for the upgrade.

You should contact the manufacturer of your computer and ask for
instructions specific to your computer. Failing that, you can follow these
instructions:

"Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)"
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Bear in mind that installing Windows is just the beginning. You also need
the drivers for your hardware. And you need to update Windows at the Windows
Update web site.

message news:690443A7-6CA7-4760-89D0-57BD6CC360E0@microsoft.com...