Question Intel 400 and 500 Series Mobos Incompatible With DVI Output Or Buggy UEFI?

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
MSI B560M-A PRO, AMD Radeon RX 550 640SP, Intel Core i3-10105F CPU.

Noticed that If I use the DVI-D cable, the motherboard will sometimes refuse to POST. VGA LED turns solid white.
If I do get a video output through DVI, the motherboard takes frighteningly longer to POST.

However, if I switch to HDMI... the issue disappears, system POSTs almost instantly.
I even restarted the machine several times to test this, in all attempts, the motherboard successfully detects my GPU and boots to Windows fine.

Reactions: egda23

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most likely the DVI-D cable is bunk, it's shorting or dropping a connection, which isn't uncommon with cheaper cables or the ones you get with monitors. Linus did a video on such, testing a myriad of cables he had laying about and the results were everything from full pass to almost complete fails on brand new cables, with many of the cables barely making the stats rated for.

Reactions: AtomikDjakareh_32G

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
Most likely the DVI-D cable is bunk, it's shorting or dropping a connection, which isn't uncommon with cheaper cables or the ones you get with monitors. Linus did a video on such, testing a myriad of cables he had laying about and the results were everything from full pass to almost complete fails on brand new cables, with many of the cables barely making the stats rated for.
But the same cable worked fine on my earlier mobo and the same GPU... (An H310 mobo).