Intel Coffee Lake (8th & 9th Gen Core CPUs) + Skylake-X Refresh & W-3175X MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
^ been here before adjusted by moderator.

I could hit an 8350k with productivity workloads that would kill it stone dead , while the ryzen 1400/1500x/1600/1700 would all keep on rolling.

Not even worth comparing these CPU's , the ryzen 8c/16t chips are aimed at a completely different user base or mindset.

Anyone whos got $200 to spend should go with the i5 8400 or ryzen 1600.

I say the 8350k is overprices simply because all k series chips are overpriced compared to their non k counterparts.

The 8350k is just a completely pointless CPU at close to $200.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
In USA they are overpriced due to low stock and extremely high demand. I do agree with you that the 8350K (for the average user) doesn't make much sense. Rather get the six core i5 8400 for under 199 USD. The "big difference" and Intel will say that is more aimed at overclockers and enthusiasts, able to easy overclock 4 cores past 5GHz.

^ thats the thing though , I understand people with big budgets going for the 6700k/7700k & now the 8700k , pairing them with 1080/1080TI's & running 144htz screens wanting the absolute max performance possible.

The lower end ks of the past , i3/i5 & now the coffee lake ones I don't really get at all.

The pricepoints are wrong (even the rrp ones) , a k should cost $25-30 more than it's locked counterpart IMO at the max , $80-100 difference is just too much.

At the minute the i3 8100 & i5 8400 get my full respect , a great price point & great performance but still ultimately not as good a buy as they should be simply because you've got no choice but to spend $100+ on a board.

When the b & h series boards become available they'll make a lot more sense.

Intel did push these chips out too early in a state of panic at the end of the day .

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

i3-8350K = 229.66€
R7-1700 = 429.43€

It is virtually one half.

The difference between k and non-k models is proportional to the performance gap plus the overclocking freedom. E.g. the 8700K has 16% higher stock clocks than the 8700 plus the OC ability and costs 18% more.

What state of panic? Q3 numbers show otherwise.

OCUK:
R7 1700: £260
i3 8350K: £159

A tad less than 2/3rds (~£174).

EDIT: R7-1700: €283

So how do you explain Intel rushing Covfefe Lake?

They pushed then to market before board manufacturers were ready with a full range of coffee lake chipsets.

That's a panic release because they were losing sales to amd in the mid range segment for the first time in close to 10 years.

At the minute in the uk the cheapest board available costs more than the i3 8100.

You don't see that as an issue for someone on a tight budget ???

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
It's Intel that hasn't finished the new chipset designs.
Z370 could be released early since it's pretty much a Z270 with different drivers and new specifications on how to design the board around it.
The other chipsets differ more from their 200-generation counterparts.

At the very worst Intel will soon (Q1) release some "Z390" with more features, and have Z370 boards not support the expected eight core CPUs. That should pretty much kill the market for (already produced) Z370 boards by the time there will be suitable (K-version) CPUs available for them in quantity...

rob.salewytsch

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
As someone who took forever to make a decision on what CPU to buy, seeing the inflated prices around the 8600k has set me back significantly. I just end up at the Ryzen 7 1700 for still a little less in Canada. And what I originally wanted, the R5 1600 seems inferior for Gaming. Nvm that the 8700k alone costs as much as the R7 1700 plus mobo.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Sorry, but Q3 numbers aren't subject to discussion. The impact of Zen on Intel's Client Computing Group is virtually zero. What is more, sites as Newegg, Amazon are overpricing the CoffeeLake chips because the demand is very strong.

That is actually an interesting remark. If Intel indeed rush Covfefe Lake, then they were able to do so thanks to the Z270 being "re-purposed" for it in a flash (there's a punt there, somewhere).

Ok, lol. Suit yourself.

^ didn't last long - $137 now.

In all fairness still worth the money because it is.
a good cpu.

Like I said before though a $100 board pushes it well well over $200.

That's my issue , the 8100 is clearly aimed at the lower budget crowd & the board prices kill it when you can get a ryzen 1200,b350 board & for $170 you've got an overclockable setup that in all honesty won't be a million miles behind on performance when it's paired with a budget orientated GPU.

For the same money total you've got a 1060 in the build instead of a 1050ti.

60htz screen ?? I'd take a ryzen 1200 & 1060 any day of the week over the 8100 & a 1050ti.

I don't think Intel is going to release a low budget chipset for this generation. They just wanted to be in the roadmap with Covfefe Lake, so AMD didn't sway away customers. It's worked and we're all happy looking at acquiring, theoretically, one of them juicy Covfefe Lake CPUs.

Also, this gen has "stop gap" plastered all over, so I'm not even sure if telling someone "yeah, get a Z370 and just get the cheapest i3 for now until the next gen comes" is a good suggestion. My gut feeling tells me it is not. So unless you're going for a K version or the locked i5 and i7 (which I still think it's a great buy even as a stop gap) is a very bad idea from the value perspective.

Cheers!

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016
Had a couple of "opportunities" to buy 8700k on Newegg for $419.00, screw that!

What I don't get is why Newegg is getting stock and Amazon isn't? Or seemingly anybody else, Silicon lottery nada, BH Photo awol.

Sending Hero X back to Amazon and they wanted me to pay return shipping. Called and got this fixed, they are saying board is defective since I can't get a CPU.

I wouldn't mind paying 20 or 30 dollars over msrp, with the hope that I'll get the damn thing before XMAS.

I think the first mistake was not take heed on the "short supply" warnings every single review I remember reading gave out. Since he already bought the board, he needs to pick his poison. My take here would be to buy it as soon as it goes at or under $400, since XMas period might make this shortage+gauging even worse than it is now and prolly just get a CPU after XMas.

Cheers!

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016

The other consideration for me besides Xmas, is the thirty day return window for Amazon. New chipset and all, I like to at least get a week of running board and cpu just in case.

RMA to Manufacturer sucks.

Would seem you're absolutely right in that respect.
No h or b series boards to be released due to the extra power demands of some of these cpu's ??
Which screams baloney to me ,Id say its purely down to minimising production expenditure for a socket which looks like its not going to be around for that long.

To me that totally undermines the i3 8100 as a 'budget' cpu option simply becasue when people spend $120 on a cpu they expect a board for 50-60% of that cost wise not 100-120%.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I disagree. Lower cost chips will, as planned long ago, be available early next year.
The only "stop gap" is the launch of the CPU-series well ahead of scedule. The CPUs themselves I don't see as fillers.

So they have confirmed H and B boards for Covfefe Lake?

Would the timing of them be close to the Z370 replacement and Ice Lake launch?

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS