Intel Confirms That HDCP Master Key is Cracked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]theoutbound[/nom]Yeah. Or wait until someone starts selling mod-chips and instructions on how to install them.[/citation]
Or more likely, manufacturing devices in china like the old school DVD players where you could turn off copy protection by entering a key code on your remote or permanently flashing the firmware on the player.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]... My friend's mother calls him to plug the monitor into her computer, because she absolutely wants to be sure it's done right. You think she's going to really mess around with cracks and such (especially ones that aren't even advertised on TV)?No...[/citation]
You wrong. In Madagascar 2 I saw an old lady pretty able to kick ass anybody.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
@Kelavarus
Problem with that theory is that the "average" person is getting a lot more tech savvy and only exponentially so. It was not long ago that the average person knew about mp3's (1997ish). It wasnt long ago before people knew about torrents (2005ish). And today, the average family has a person or two that is able to download free content that wasnt intended to be free. The world is gaining ground on readily distributable content, and only gaining faster everyday. Methods like HDCP are contrary to what the world is wanting. It plays little into the ability to keep content safe as does most DRM and the sooner the companies embrace readily available content the sooner they WILL prosper.

I dont agree with downloading pirated content, but you must admit if you could do it legally, you would. Having content when I want it, is very appealing.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Anybody else annoyed at Blu-Ray discs that shut down your mouse functionality for some weird and stupid reason?

That is stepping beyond the pale to me.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]But in all seriousness, who cares? I always ripped my BRs without the protection schemes...[/citation]
I agree just rip it and be done with it!

G

This has nothing to do with downloading and everything to do with recording HD. Has anyone seen an HD dvr? Did not think so? These protection schemes are nothing more than anti-technology. There is nothing wrong with being able to make high quality recordings for later viewing. Which is what 98% of people would do with the technology.

Blue-ray and HD content is already being ripped and download by all those in the crowd so all the protection scheme does is deny technology and benefits to those that would enjoy it and prevents zero piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.